Discuss pipe sizes for new rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steviep

HI Guys

I have central heating only upstairs, anyway the real flame fires dont push that much heat out and currently considering (esp after last 2 winters) fitting rads to lounge and kitchen, bringing the pipes down from a tee in the bedroom in the alcove next to chimney breast to minimise the visuals and removing bonded solid wood floors.

all the existing rad pipes are 15mm, im looking around 2000w for each rad, would 8mm dia copper pipe be adequate to supply them both

thanks

Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve, its not an easy question to answer. Do you have 22mm pipes under the floor boards?

It depends on the run but I'd go for 10mm as a minimum.

To work properly (as Ecowarm has hinted) they must be tee'd off the central heating circuit (which is usually 22mm and under the landing). If they tee off another radiator both rads might fight for heat and could be impossible to balance properly and you might end up with a worse situation.

And Welcome!!

Thanks for replies, the CH flow pipe is 22mm and branches to 15mm under floor from boiler, one way to 1st bedroom rad and the other way to small bathroom, not sure where they go after that until i get some carpets and boards up its a 3 bed semi.
if new pipes were 15mm would that reduce balancing/fighting for heat probs

the smaller the pipe size, the more resistance to flow. best to take the feeds for the 2 new radiators from the 22mm flow and returns if possible to avoid problems with flow. you could come of the 22mm in 15mm then tee off in 10mm to the 2 new rads. probably best to stick to 15mm but difficult to be clear without visualising the layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe sizes for new rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat...
Replies
Views
H
Hi I want to move the feed to my rads , as the route is too long,this would mean leaving approx 3 m of 22 mm flow and return plpework down beside...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, We had all the rads replaced in the spring. They had this issue from day one but, tbh, I thought once they start getting used in the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, We're in the process of a kitchen extension - old kitchen was a smaller extension which was demolished and building a new one. Trying to work...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock