Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic Aerator stuck in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MissMac

Hi,

I have been trying to remove a plastic aerator - there's no issue with scaling I just want to fit a diverter valve - I have used an adjustable wrench, which slipped and then tried Vise Grips which slipped with a cloth protecting the plastic aerator and mangled it without the cloth - still didn't turn.

It is now a mangled mess and I've resorted to trying to pick it out with a pair of pliers, without success.

Any ideas other than a new tap!!!

Many thanks and apologies for being a complete plumbing idiot!

56698201P1-500x500.jpg

It's like this one.

The Diverter valve I need to fit is for a countertop waterfilter.

Definitely threaded.

The stupid thing is I took it off to measure for an adapter only the other day and when I replaced it I didn't tighten firmly, yet now it won't come off. Nothing to grip now.

Definitely threaded.

The stupid thing is I took it off to measure for an adapter only the other day and when I replaced it I didn't tighten firmly, yet now it won't come off. Nothing to grip now.

Fair enough, have habit of thinking outside the box.

Might be a good idea to have the spout removed so that the airator can be worked on easy.
But that can also turn out bad if things go wrong.
Nothing else for it but to break the whole airator bit by bit if it won't turn.
When you try turning those plastic airators, they tend to squeeze in where you grip them and actually tighten.
Or maybe if water still flows okay, just relax for the weekend and don't make it any worse.

If you have a junior hacksaw blade it might be best poking it through the aerator and just sawing it across then popping it out with a flat screwdriver.

a fiddly job but achievable without replacing whole tap

I have cut a cross through it with a stanley knife as best I can - difficult to get purchase without risking slipping into my hand - and I have been picking at it with pliers, without much luck. It's very awkward and the pliers don't seen to be gripping or removing anything.

I don't know how to remove the spout - although I can see a small cross head screw at the back of the base of the spout which I could guess would do it, but I don't have a short enough screw driver to turn it.

Water still flowing thank goodness!

I really appreciate the help from everyone, it's really very much appreciated.

The little screw at back of spout is what prevents the spout from lifting up and off.
Some of them are Allen screws and are often easy to remove with an Allen key. But if you are correct, you would need a very small screwdriver, or the little double bent bar type screwdriver.
Or maybe the mini ratchet sets with appropriate screw bit would work.
It is a bit risky removing spout as some makes have a weak spout which can snap when jammed, or you could lose the tiny screw and give yourself a real plumbing problem.

Best I don't risk it - I rent my property, so I'm already getting hot under the collar!

The spout is already wobbly - it's not the world's best tap to be fair.

I can't believe I can't get the aerator out, it's a persistent little b****r...

Ha ha, don't let it ruin your weekend!

I'm taking a day off it and will sneak up on it on Monday....

So, the saga continues. I can't remove the aerator with the spout attached as it's too dangerous using a stanley blade on it to cut it out as I have to support the spout with my hand - I don't want a Darwin Award!

So I want to try removing the spout BUT the shortest cross head screw driver I can find is too long to access it. I can't find anything that works at right angles.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone has. Thanks so much

Or you could use a thick set of gloves just incase you slip with a blade, and you can't/ don't want to remove it

I did consider that - I have some thick fireproof gloves and gardening gloves I could possibly wear inside them, but I confess I'm still a wee bit nervous trying it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe you could try a drill bit that is just slightly undersized for the thread in the spout, not using a drill but do it by hand using a new sharp bit and turn it by hand? I'm not sure how tough the plastic is but you might be able to get it all out like that.

It's a long shot but it might just work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic Aerator stuck in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock