Discuss Please help me diagnose these drips and condensating pipes! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Complete novice here. I have water droplets leaking from the ceiling in both of my flat's bedrooms. It's coming from the exact same spot in both bedrooms, which is in the gap below where I believe the heating/air-circulation systems are located in the ceiling of each room (see pics below, the water is dripping from the black circled areas).

We do not have radiators, only fan heating from the ceiling vents which also has a "comfort cool" fan setting. The water is leaking whether or not the system is turned on in the room.

IMG-3318-1.jpg

IMG-3319-1.jpg

In the utility cupboard, some of the pipes are condensating so badly that huge puddles are forming. The floor feels so cold and some of the pipes are almost freezing cold to touch. I've put a picture below; the pipe above the towel is the worst offender.

IMG-3322.jpg

IMG-3321.jpg

IMG-3320.jpg

Anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what this could be? Is it just a case of needing to insulate these pipes?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Open the access hatches in the roof

As for the drips is it running from further up ?

Thanks. I opened the access hatch in one of the rooms. The drip is coming from the copper pipes above this plastic pipe. They are really cold so presumably that is why they are sweating.

IMG-3326.jpg

IMG-3323.jpg

IMG-3324.jpg

Last edited:
So, to try summarise my whole issue, it seems that suddenly my copper cold water pipes are running with much colder water than usual and that, coupled with the warm weather, is causing all these drips? Do I just need to insulate them better?

Shall I try wrapping them in this?

Last edited:
I haven't any experience with that particular type of insulation but yes, anything that will adequately insulate the pipework will dramatically cut down on the condensation. I just did a cylinder cupboard the other day because of this same problem. I just used standard 13mm tubular pipe lagging and it did solve the problem. These cylinders were in an enclosed cupboard so I also got the chippy to add a vent top and bottom of the cupboard doors to improve circulation which I believe also helped.

Hopefully someone knows the lagging you linked to and will be able to say if it's any good or not if that's what you want to use.

Reply to Please help me diagnose these drips and condensating pipes! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a PRV located in a heated plant room that is between a pair of stop cocks. It was installed to keep pressure under 3 Bar a couple of...
Replies
Views
S
We had water leak from the laundry sink into the cupboard below, then flow down the hole cut for the pipes (the hole was on the floor of the...
Replies
Views
James Auberon
J
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock