Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber Stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JackoOz

Hi there, new plumber from Australia here!

Have been in the Trade for a few years now. Am doing some further study at a college here and am in the middle of a lengthy research paper. So just trying to gain some anecdotal info if you don't mind some questions

First up, what percentage split of your plumbing jobs would you have supplies delivered to the job, you go to the shop and pick up and jobs you already have supply of the parts needed?

Secondly, how many suppliers would you generally have for the parts or equipment needed to do your job?

Thirdly, do you care about the price your supplier charges you? Do you just pass this cost onto your customer or do you try and find the best possible deal and either skim some margin on parts, or pass the saving onto the customer to undercut your competition?

Fourth, if you place an order to have your parts delivered, what is the maximum delivery time you would be prepared to wait?

Lastly, would you be open to a new disruptive technology based supply model that made your life easier and potentially improved your bottom line?

Thanks. This work is exhausting trying to fit in with work as well.

Cheers!
Mark.

Firstly: Every planned job i do is delivered, emergency call outs if i don't have it on the van obviously i need to go get it.

Secondly: Every merchant within a 100 mile radius, national and independants (which basically means every national merchant in the country and every independant i've ever heard off within 100 miles (so i may miss a few of these boys out))

Thirdly: Of course we care about prices. Thats why we play one merchant against the other to get the best possible deal (though there is always someone on better terms than you are).
Planned jobs on big items are keenly priced (to the extent of your buying power) by every merchant but we all have to bend over and take it up the rse for small items where it is sometimes more cost effective to use diy sheds.

Forth: Its called forward planning but occasionally you need the stuff next day. Thats why it is important to have good business relationships with your merchant.

Lastly: There is always someone who wants to change a world they usually know little about. Good luck. Its easier than grafting for a living ;)

Firstly: Every planned job i do is delivered, emergency call outs if i don't have it on the van obviously i need to go get it.

Secondly: Every merchant within a 100 mile radius, national and independants (which basically means every national merchant in the country and every independant i've ever heard off within 100 miles (so i may miss a few of these boys out))

Thirdly: Of course we care about prices. Thats why we play one merchant against the other to get the best possible deal (though there is always someone on better terms than you are).
Planned jobs on big items are keenly priced (to the extent of your buying power) by every merchant but we all have to bend over and take it up the rse for small items where it is sometimes more cost effective to use diy sheds.

Forth: Its called forward planning but occasionally you need the stuff next day. Thats why it is important to have good business relationships with your merchant.

Lastly: There is always someone who wants to change a world they usually know little about. Good luck. Its easier than grafting for a living ;)

Welcome back Grandpa x

Yikes...can't believe I'm still going with this! Only 2 more years and I have my Bachelor of Design majoring in construction...but still think I'll stay in the trade. Maybe become a manager and sit on my bum! LOL

Just thought I'd resurrect this as I'm working on another project. Would greatly appreciate any assistance. This assignment is on logistics and I have some basic idea here in Oz, but would be keen to hear what you guys do over there.

I have estimated that plumbers here who work mainly on residential and smaller commercial jobs probably get something like 50% of their supplies delivered. Probably 75% of that to the job and 25% either to their office/work or home. What's it like over there?

And it doesn't seem like technology has taken off as fast as some of the major suppliers here would like. I was told by one of the majors that at least 90% of their orders for delivery are still done over the phone. Not sure if we're behind the times here or not!

Anyway, thanks for reading and appreciate any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber Stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock