Discuss Plumbers advice please in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi...I really could do with some advice from some plumbers please. I have had a company refit my bathroom and I’m questioning the quality of the work in fitting of the vanity unit and the toilet. (See pictures) . The company have responded to my questions but I’m not sure if they are giving me a true reply they said -
‘Whilst we always aim to place pipes behind the false back panel, however due to the positioning of the joists in order to have them running directly underneath it would have meant part removing part of the joist, compromising its structure.
The plumber who undertook the work made a decision to lose around 4 cm2 of space within the cupboard as opposed to either removing part of the joists or altering the pipework to suit which he thought could possibly cause complications. Whilst we agree it would look neater behind the false back panel, losing a small amount of space in a cupboard is a worthy compromise in comparison to the alternatives. I noticed a spacer had become loose on my last site visit, we’re willing to rectify the issue’
I don’t know enough about this to send a reply to this company and would appreciate some advice.
Thank you
Jayne
57EC52F9-AADD-4ACE-9DFA-C3C63CB4932C.jpeg
E58F41EB-35A1-4778-B9F6-D33501256814.png
00825CE0-8DA8-416D-BF12-2F575058FF6C.jpeg
7C2C6DEF-ACEA-4D7F-AA9F-D509004EF24F.jpeg
45534DBE-0019-4F1C-8E3E-E6F33C353707.jpeg
AD9240CD-0F8F-4134-8107-96A97F837441.jpeg
62E18F45-2C7D-4D45-BC5D-51BF2F4FA0A0.jpeg

If you wouldn’t mind how much roughly did you pay ?

Irrespective of the reasons given, the cut outs are too large and not cut / trimmed to a professional standard.

If nothing else, it gives a route into the cupboard for any exploratory vermin.

I would not accept it, as a minimum, I would want properly fitted and sealed plates over the open holes. That is a quick and simple fix - or indeed to put a second false floor over the existing cupboard floor with the cut outs in exactly the right place.

Sorry, but irrespective of price, the works should be completed to an acceptable standard.

My guess would be the plumbing wasn't done by a plumber, more likely a kitchen/ bathroom fitter/ joiner, although if it was any of those they'd have made a better job of the holes.
They could have reasonably easilly offset the pipes behind the units, but that would have taken time and skill.

The W.C is a mess, there looks to be a gap straight down the back behind the pan.
A ring or other small item could roll off and drop down there never to be seen again, or mean the tiling would need to be removed to retrieve it.

Someone didn’t measure twice cut once for the pipe holes.

I think they measured from the wrong end when they cut the first hole and it just went downhill from there.

The excuse about the joist is a good one, they could have added 90's to offset the waste pipe behind the panel but that brings a higher risk of blockages so to be fair I don't blame them for bringing the pipes up where they did.
The cutting out is horrendous and I have no idea why they went from copper to ISO to plastic to ISO to tap tails.
The spacer they mentioned is a nut from a CC kit, if it was secure it'd do the job of spacing but why are the cistern and pan so far from the wall, it looks very rushed with a ''that'll do'' attitude.
If I ever find myself needing to use 'spacers' like that I'll talk to the customer and offer other solutions like a small bit of boxing at the back or even something like a painted piece of ply behind it, done well you'd hardly notice it. I'm guessing the toilet waste was either cut too long and the pan wouldn't reach the wall or it's in a position where even the shortest pan connector is stopping the wc from reaching the wall. Either way there are better solutions than the one pictured.

Is that a speed fit elbow poking its head out from under the floor?!!

Not an acceptable standard for me. Far from it.
I’m sorry I have no idea about plumbing, I’ve tried to get advice from local plumbers but they seem to get work from this company, so when they know the name of the company they are reluctant to make any formal comments 😔
[automerge]1582446838[/automerge]
Is that a speed fit elbow poking its head out from under the floor?!!

Not an acceptable standard for me. Far from it.
? What is a speed fit elbow? Is that not good?

Last edited:

Reply to Plumbers advice please in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock