Discuss Plumbing advice please x in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lollo2304

We have had an issue with our water pipes for several weeks but struggled to sort them out due to a newborn baby! Any how here's a brief description:

We have two bathrooms and a downstairs toilet. All are fairly new, fitted last 3 years!
We have a Combi boiler fitted 2 years ago.
Started by having a high pitch squeak occasionally in main bathroom (like a bird cheeping).
Then the pipes would rattle a bit when you flushed any of the 3 toilets.
This got louder and more persistent and started happening when turning taps off.
Happens on hot and cold taps.
Started doing it intermittently when no taps or toilets were used.
We had some gardening work done recently and they used the outside tap a lot and it resulted in the pipes almost constantly humming.

Contacted a plumber last week who came and spent around 40 minutes suggested various things and looking confused. Eventually decided that it was the main bathroom and downstairs toilets, the latter being the worst. Advised turning them off and resting for two weeks and then replacing the toilet valves. Great! Especially as I would still have to pay the £99 plus vat! Wasn't an option to have two toilets out of action as I'm disabled with a newborn baby... So he begrudgingly replaced the valve on downstairs toilet.

yippee... No more banging! So pleased!

Lasted 36hrs before it started again! This time we turned of the upstairs toilet and the noises stopped. Plan to replace that valve ourselves... However the banging started again with that toilet off! Only happens with sinks downstairs and main bathroom. Last night I turned off downstairs toilet and the noises stopped but I cannot leave it off!

Not sure where to go from here really. Don't want that plumber back as I had very little confidence in him at all. Don't know any plumbers and went off recommendations for that one.

any ideas what could be causing it all?

thanks in advance, sorry it's so long!

What sort of bird sound was it...
Like a sparrow or more like a larger bird such as a magpie ??

Was it more of a squeak or more like a bird eeeek !, like a bird being chased by a cat.
Just trying to narrow it down.
I have lots of bird recordings and can help x

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like you just need to reduce your pressure

Turn a cold tap on, whilst it is on flush the toilet, does it make the sound then?

To the last poster, it makes the banging noise when the cistern has refilled with or without the cold tap being on.

Bang ??? ....the bird or the cistern.......

Seriously though. Have you recently had a water meter fitted as these can induce some odd noises

Last edited by a moderator:
The noise could be resonating from anywhere in your cold mains. A partial blockage in a Wc is usually the cause but having changed that and the noise is still there you need to get a decent plumber, not one who asks you to turn off your Wc for 2 weeks. I have had a similar problem with a incoming stopcock needing replaced.
It could be a number of things high water pressure, faulty inline check valve hard to say but a decent plumber should find the fault pretty quickly. Why not post on the forum that your looking for a plumber in your area.
In the mean time try turning the stopcock down to see if that alleviates the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing advice please x in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock