Discuss Plumbing parts - acceptable mark up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallon1982

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Apologies if this topic has been bought up before. Only thread I could see was from back in 2010 so I'm sure times have changed a little...

What are you guys thinking is an acceptable mark up on general plumbing parts?

For example, I can go down Plumbfix and get a Fluidmaster Dual Flush valve for £11.15 inc VAT... What would you charge the customer for that?

Sorry buddy but I don't think you'll get many people discussing prices on open forum. There are too many variables for example where you are in the country?!?! If you are a pro then get your post count up and join us in the plumbers arms we can talk a bit more freely about things in there

My mark up is 20% but that pays for my time
- Finding the best price/material to use
- collecting materials
And such
Also most of the time ill use stuff that's already in the van and not charge like screws an that

Yes I am a pro. What is the plumbers arms?

Get your posts up to 100 then contact one of the mods. The plumbers arms is a sub forum where the rules are a little bit more relaxed and we can ask things which may not be a good idea to have in the public domain

I make no secret of it - my markup is 20%. Says so clearly on the "prices" page of my website.

your mark up is not just for profit, it allows you to be able to cover return calls if things need replacing etc. So some people dont mark up at all, whilst others will stick on 200% or more on some items. It is all part of running a profitable enterprise that will be there in 10 years time.

I carry a lot of stock, being in the oil side of things, there are no merchants near me carrying any decent stock so I buy it in online. That means I have to factor in the cost of the money just sitting there and ensure it isnt costing me. So if I turn upto a job and use the parts I can add a decent mark up which covers my costs. The customer is happy as I get it fixed in one visit so no excess labour charges for a return call etc, so my mark up factors this in, sure they can buy the bits online cheaper, but their boiler is working short shrift if I turn up. So my mark up is high on oil parts I carry, but for good reason. For example, I popped out to a leaking gas boiler today, AAV failed, whpiped out the guts and new workings in, cost them over £100, but they got there boiler working first thing monday morning, in less than 30 mins and they were chuffed all round, others would have charged a lot less and had to go to a merchants 10 miles away for parts, who is going to get the next callout???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing parts - acceptable mark up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock