Currently reading:
Possible kettling, soft water area

Discuss Possible kettling, soft water area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Vaillant EcoTec 415 which has been getting noisy as it gets up to temperature - it's a moaning/whining noise which starts off quiet and gradually gets louder. From what I've read, it sounds like 'kettling', but I'm not sure why there would be a problem with build-up in the heat exchanger - I gather it's usually caused by limescale, and I live in an area of 'moderately soft' water (according to the water board). As for metallic muck, I also have a MagnaClean fitted and that hasn't picked up a great deal of residue. I've read stories of people forking out for a system clean / power flush or even a new heat exchanger and finding that the problem wasn't solved, so before I fork out £550 for cleaning (well that's what one local firm charges), I'd rather be sure it's necessary.

Note that since down-rating by a few kW the problem isn't so noticeable, although I'm not sure about leaving it like that. I was surprised a 15kW model had been chosen for this house tbh as it's a 4 bed detached and that output seems a bit low by all accounts.

The boiler is due its 5 year service soon so if I was going to get a powerflush done then I suppose that would be the time to do it. The rads seem fine though - just a little cooler at the bottom but definitely not cold. Wondering if it would be possible to just clean out the heat exchanger as part of the service. Oh and because it's the 5 year service, Vaillant advise getting the seals changed, so that's another £30 on top of the £60-odd servicing cost even before any thoughts of getting extra work done. :frown2:

So does anyone have any thoughts on all of that before I squander some wonga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possible kettling, soft water area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock