Discuss Potterton 24 Combi Boiler possible high pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonahjones

Hi,

I have a Potterton 24 he eco boiler and have noticed the pressure getting quite high when the heating is on.

When cold the pressure is set 1 bar. When the heating is on it rises to around 2.5 - 3 bar.

When the hot water is on it goes to 1.5 bar.

It is quite possible it has always done this.

My question is I have just had the boiler serviced?

I have spoken to the guy who serviced it and he said he noticed the pressure a bit below 1 so he topped it up and the reason the pressure was below 1 might be because the expansion tank isn't working and water is being released from the system.

Is the expansion tank something that they should check?

Are there any checks I can do?

Thanks
Paul

Hi again.

Did a proper test tonight. Ran the boiler calling for heat and watched the pressure rise from 3/4 bar to 3.5 bar.

At this point the copper pipe in the garden let out some water and the boiler then stopped heating shortly afterwards.

It has probably been doing this a while but I haven't noticed as our house warms up so well and quickly.

Questions are.

Should the guy who serviced it last week have noticed this?
Is there an easy way to tell if the pipe to the expansion vessel is blocked?
If it is the expansion vessel does that mean its the diaphragm or the vessel itself?

How much could this cost me?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks
Paul

Sounds to me like typical symptoms of a faulty expansion vessel. A burst / undercharged vessel means that the excess pressure that is created when the heating is on has nowhere to go and so 'blows off' outside through the pressure relief valve. However accessing the vessel usually requires removing the boiler casing and so should be carried out by a registered gas installer. Although a sometimes cheaper / easier fix can be achieved by fitting a second expansion vessel to the return central heating pipe work to the boiler (providing you have the room)

Also a faulty expansion vessel is not usually something that would be checked on a service unless your engineer was aware of a fault when he started servicing it.

Also a faulty expansion vessel is not usually something that would be checked on a service unless your engineer was aware of a fault when he started servicing it.
It is required to be checked by some manufacturers. I check precharge as part of a service on any boiler or system that has one.

Thanks for your replies.

I checked the vessel by squeezing the value and it let out air rather than water. This is a good sign so I have read.

I didn't check the pressure as I haven't got a pump at the mo so will check tonight. Basically I didn't want to check the pressure and at the same time let loads out with nothing to put it back.

Should the pressure be 1 bar for this model.

If it needs represurising I was going to bleed a rad until boiler pressure is 0. Then make vessel 1 bar pressure. Then top the boiler back up.

Are there any other steps to take and does the fact that the vessel released air mean the vessel is fine. I am thinking it might just need repressurising or the pipe to it is blocked.

Last question. Does the boiler have to come off of the wall to replace these vessels?

Thanks

It is required to be checked by some manufacturers. I check precharge as part of a service on any boiler or system that has one.
On some as soon as you touch the valve, they start leaking air.

To replace it or repressurise it if i recall corectly you will need to take the case off to access the connections and valve so it is work that will need to be undertaken by a gas safe registered engineer. The manufacturers instructions normally state the precharge for the vessel or there is likely a label on the vessel itself with the details. 0.8 - 1 bar is fairly typical. I know several engineers on the forum renew the schrader valve if it needs repressurising as if it has not pinholed it must have lost charge through the valve.

Rather than mess around with something you don't fully understand, why not call the engineer back and get him to check it,you could have other problem's, how meny radiators on system, exp tank could be undersized for system.

Thanks.

I will get an engineer in but access to the value on the exp vessel is very easy and if it just a case of reducing the system to 0 pressure and ensuring the vessel has 1 bar then it could be a simple fix rather than spending loads on someone to do it for me.

Anything above this in terms of difficulty I accept is beyond me and I would get someone in to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton 24 Combi Boiler possible high pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock