Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Performa 24 - Poor H/W delivery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an installer, who has been asked to repair a friends boiler.
Initially, primary flow pin on diverter wasn't lifting & APS wasn't making, so changed diaphragm & APS, followed by complete diverter valve, only to discover that despite the pump rotor spinning (and heat being dissipated), the pin started to lift only when I changed the pump head.
Next day I get a call that boiler only fires up intermittently. Turns out PCB is faulty and fan was sometimes only coming on intermittently.
Then I discover that H/W performance is poor. Gas rate indicated about 16.5 KW on H/W. Burner pressure goes up to 11Mb then rapidly drops to 2Mb and then cycles between 2- 6Mb.
Resistance on top 2 pins of gas valve show 1.59 & botton 2 pins 2.89 - so assume that is OK.
Changed primary thermistor to no avail, but if I run hot water with thermistor out of pocket, it delivers full gas rate & plenty H/W so can I assume that gas valve is definitely OK ??
I have assumed that primary side is overheating, so have descaled plate exchanger (without any improvement !) & now added X400, which has been in for about a week - but its still the same apparently.
Can anyone give me some useful suggestions, and am I right about assuming a blockage somewhere ??
Sorry for long winded post but too much info is better than not enough !

i would call potterton,could be faulty gas valve
been there with mates boilers,favour jobs there great

Resistance figures for gas valve should be around 1.5 & 3.0 (I've got 1.59 & 2.89) which I think are close enough.
Don't have a lot of faith in Potterton's tech dept (I used to !) or an hour waiting to speak to someone !! - but will as last resort.
Think the fact that it runs ok with thermistor out would confirm gas valve is OK - but maybe I'm missing something.

try this number trade direct line 08443358428,have had gasvalves do this on performas but only once fitted 156 of them(performas/main/105he) have you checked/adjusted min/max pressures?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't adjusted min/max pressures but will do when I go back.
The problem with the hot water apparently only started since the PCB was changed, but may actually have started the previous day when the diverter/pump head was changed - its just that the hot water may not have been tested properly that evening !
Owner had been manually operating microswitch to get hot water before I arrived - but HW delivery was fine when operated like that. Just makes me think that some **** in the pipes/exchanger may have caused original problem - & now shifted to cause primary side to overheat thereby shutting the thermistor/gas valve down.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes might have sludge in there i have also had totally blocked plate heats,blocked hydrolic pipes(the small ones) knackered hydroblocks(behind pump) and blocked filters(inlet)and faulty microswitchs

yes might have sludge in there i have also had totally blocked plate heats,blocked hydrolic pipes(the small ones) knackered hydroblocks(behind pump) and blocked filters(inlet)and faulty microswitchs

We all have days like that ,gasman :p;)

and thats before lunch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Performa 24 - Poor H/W delivery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock