Search the forum,

Discuss Power Flushing New Business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tapsworcester

Hello All,

I am hoping to start a business focused on power flushing and installation of central heating filters. A few years back I did a plumbing level 2 hoping to go into the industry but found it hard to find someone to work with. I have recently found a plumber who likes my idea and wants to support me.

The reason that I am on here is to ask you to tell me straight whether as a 45 year old ex-military man this would give me a platform on which to build a plumbing business. I am sure that you will not pull any punches and will tell me straight.

I think one of the hardest things will be engaging with customers. Can I ask what you have found the most successful, eg door-to-door, leaflet drops, local magazines, websites or other methods.

Thanks All.

Powerflushing reminds me of the crazy boom in PAT testing about 5 years ago, every man an their dog set up stall with it...
I wish you the best mate, it can be done as a business but to undercut proper plumbers you'll have to go in cheap, have you had proper PF experience?

bear in mind that if your flush causes a blockage or leak what experience do you have to rectify the issue? It may cost you more to repair it than you earn if you have to use someone else. In my mind power flushing is just one of the things I do as a heating technician as a part of my whole trading business. I couldn't survive if that was all I did, just because BG do a lot of it, dont think you'll take all their trade, they have been an established name for as long as I remember and they probably have the biggest customer base in the industry.

First thing you should do is get to know all heating and water layouts. If you understand how heating works, you will have a better chance of doing a quality power flush.
you also need yo know WHY the system has sludged up in the first place. This is mostly caused by poor feed, vent and pump position. But can be a myriad of other things.
i believe you shouldn't just power flush, but you should cure the symptoms too.

if you can befriend a few local plumbers, they might pass this side of the business onto you.
you will need some good public liability insurance.
research primatic cylinders too, as you can come unstuck big time with flushing these.

Powerflushing reminds me of the crazy boom in PAT testing about 5 years ago, every man an their dog set up stall with it...
I wish you the best mate, it can be done as a business but to undercut proper plumbers you'll have to go in cheap, have you had proper PF experience?

Pat testing used to be worthwhile.
I did it amongst other electrical stuff from 2002/03 from memory.
Was worthwhile then. But then the HSE amd IEE changed testing guidlines for business, a bit like they did for the H.I.P people and overnight pulled the arsend out the market.

One local bloke in Hull when I lived there fronted a multi million pound company based on Pat testing. Related to BONUS Electrical.
But that went south when things changed

I think the gimmick side of power flushing is dissapearing. Mostly its not required. People aren't enquiring about it or know its done when a boiler is changed anyway...

Thanks All for the posts thus far. I did a level 2 certificate a couple of years ago and tried to set up a similar business then, but I did not have a plumber to mentor and I didn't have the confidence to go into a property and deal with any problems that the flush created. I also went to Kamco HQ for a day's training but I do lack the confidence from doing let's say 10 flushes.

The focus of my business would initially be system cleansing rather than just power flushing i.e. I also want to instal filters on central heating systems e.g. Magnaclean. I expect what the average customer really wants is a boiler service and of course I can't do that, but I have a friend who can do that side.

If you have any recommendations as to what power flushing equipment and what are your preferred filters I would like to hear them. I am probably going to hire a Kamco until I can afford one.

Cheers All.

best flusher is the Norstrum with a heater and magnacleanse attached, not cheap though

Iv been self employed 4 years now & only do power flushing when changing a boiler, iv been asked for a specific powerflush only a handful of times in that time, and they are systems that are really bad!!!

why don't you get in touch with local heating engineers and offer them that for every powerflush they can pass on to you , that you will work free for a couple of days for them , (if you can afford too) . some might bee too busy to do this job and would be glad to get a day or 2 free labour, this way you could get some powerflushing work and some experience on heating work etc . then why don't you post flyers thru doors stating how much people could save on their heating by fitting trv's heating controls, lagging pipes, and how a powerflush and fitting a filter could prolong the systems life then you could carry out this kind of work?

Power Flushing your Central Heating | POWERFLUSH LTD

that platform worked for this outfit, they get there work by obtaining phone number from gas safe website and repeatedly texting offering £50 for a successful referral.

I have this company keep texting me, one day I got fed up so found there number and phoned them up, the poor girl on the end of the phone didn't know what to say when I said why would I want to sell a job to you for less than I can make myself? I said I won't sell them to you I will do them myself thank you so please take me off your list. I still get texts off them but not as many.

To the op most of the people I know do them themselves so I can't really see it being a financially viable business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power Flushing New Business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock