Search the forum,

Discuss Programmable room stat recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

md68

Hi Guy’s.

I am looking for a recommendation for a simple to use programmable room thermostat but, and here’s my problem. It needs to be fairly big and chunky with a positive click or tone when turned on. It has to be used by a customer of mine who has very poor control over their hands and is partially sighted. Being independent is very important to them so I am trying to do my best to sort them out.

If you google under the images there's a large variety and easy to see at a glance. Most you'll want to ignore but there must be a few worth investigating.

I fitted a Horstmann PRT yesterday for a blind customer. It has 2 large buttons for up/down temperature and has audible beeps. Comes with braille writing on the buttons too. As far as ease of use goes, I don't think there are any easy to use PRT and I have to say, it took me a while to set up and programe this one, but once it's done, it's probably just a matter of + or -.
Some info below.

ThermoPlus – simplicity of use with advanced programmable features
The Horstmann family of ThermoPlus programmable room thermostats sets new standards in their ease and simplicity of use.
The ‘stats, which are suited to both new build installations or replacement of older style electro-mechanical thermostats, will find a range of applications in areas such as local authority housing, housing associations and social housing. The ThermoPlus is designed for ease of use, offering the user a clear understanding of the controls and how they can be adjusted.
  • Each model features 5 pre-installed profiles
  • The installer can easily select the preferred programme
  • Features a colour coded, bright LED warm/cool display and Braille markings on the main override buttons
  • Automatic winter and summer time change (GMT/BST)
  • Frost protection
Four models to choose from:
ThermoPlus AS2 RF; a wireless, battery powered thermostat that makes use of an advanced Z-Wave™ mesh wireless control language​
  • Supplied complete with receiver unit (ASR-RF)
  • Local override facility
  • Factory pre-set heating profiles and pre-set clock with battery back up
  • Audible and tactile feedback

ThermoPlus AS1:
mains powered and offers simple three button operation​
  • All the above features (except RF)

ThermoPlus AS2:
As the AS1 butbattery powered model.​
  • Three standard AA batteries with at least a 2 year battery life
  • Separate clock power back-up
ThermoPlus PRT1: Similar to AS1 especially designed for vulnerable/older users.​
  • Mains powered and requires an all-installer set-up to agreed parameters
  • Features 15º cool setting to provide hypothermia protection

when i need to use a programmable stat i always use honeywell as they are so easy to use but i dont think they would be suitable for someone partially sighted.

i have fitted the horstmann one for a similar situation, the woman was blind and wasnt too happy with it. i also found it a lot more awkward to use compared to the honeywell.

i ended up fitting a single channel programmer and roomstat be it wired or wireless.
the honeywell stats have a plastic nib that sticks out at the top where you set the temperature dial to. i then cut a small line using a junior hacksaw into the 21 degrees on the dial.

left the programmer on constant, doing this allowed her to turn the heating on upto a temperature she knew and off again by feel only.

end result customer happy and independant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Programmable room stat recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock