Discuss Pump Sizing in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a similar customer, who had done online research and thought electric would be a great idea to future proof the house. However once I went through the cost of install, running and the fact that most electric units are only carry a 2/3 year warranty he soon agreed to a replacement gas boiler.

just one more point do they cook on gas or leccy, power cut no heating or cooking.
yes i know ,,, no leccy no heating even if you use gas, but!!!!
thats my pennys worth now,..

Consider the personality of the customer, this job would be ringing alarm bells for me - remember sometimes a job is not worth doing from your point of view and it’s best to walk away.
If it’s a job you’d not wish your name to be associated with, for example when they start telling people that their bills have gone mad since you fitted the new boiler etc - just don’t do it.

Personally I don't think the power supply will be adequate for heating, hotwater, cooking , a kettle, computers TVs , gaming and to top that probably a charging point for a car or two if not now then in the future, I'd be getting a calculation done allowing for a -2- 3 degree temperature outside for a week or two and all these appliances loading it will be a mind blowing and a game changers I guarantee, take some Viessman boiler information with you these are designed for the changes coming to the Natural gas supply, the future is Hydrogen Natural gas mix the co2 produced from the combustion process is vastly reduced it's being trialled and tested in parts of the UK now that the future and the way I would be pushing this customer is this direction , or saying sorry I'm out . Kop

Same as a slim Jim good units

Although I know quite a bit on electricity I'm by no means a qualified electrician. Is a 100 amp supply really going to be enough for a 12 kw boiler at full load and all other appliances running?

Although I know quite a bit on electricity I'm by no means a qualified electrician. Is a 100 amp supply really going to be enough for a 12 kw boiler at full load and all other appliances running?

yes easily 12kw is 50amps provided he doesn’t run a big 20 plus amp cooker at the same time

also 12 kw is max load when the system warms up this could drop to around 6kw

yes easily 12kw is 50amps provided he doesn’t run a big 20 plus amp cooker at the same time

also 12 kw is max load when the system warms up this could drop to around 6kw

That's my point mate. Yes the boiler will modulate but what when it's -2°c outside, the boiler is at full output and then you switch on an electric cooker, plus your 1 or 2 32 amp ring mains and your lighting circuits etc etc. Admittedly this is an extreme situation scenario but like heating systems shouldn't all electrical systems be designed with max load in consideration?

Actually no, they are not designed at maximum load - diversification is applied, don’t forget most heating elements actually cycle off/on to maintain a given temperature and pretty much anything that is not a heating element does not draw much current.
I’m over simplifying, but you get my drift.

Reply to Pump Sizing in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back