Search the forum,

Discuss Rad valves with O-rings in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Some RAD valves come with O-rings, whereas the majority do not and I just wonder if one is better than the other or whether it makes no difference whatsoever?
Reason I ask the question is that I have spent ages looking at valves and have settled on the ones in the link, but I’ve never used valves before with O-rings and so before I hit the buy button I just want to check with you guys: Valves

TIA

1. It doesn't really make any difference.
2. If you use the ones with O rings, the radiator surface where the O rings sit must be smooth. Very often they aren't.
3. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary sort. Its just a matter of wrapping sufficient PTFE tape around the threads to make a leak free fit.
4. The number of turns of PTFE depends on how tight the threads are without anything. Fairly tight, and you might start with 8 wraps, fairly loose and start with 15 to 20. In proportion for a different fit.
5. There are other sealing methods:
5a. Loctite 55 cord - allows for some (max 1/2 turn) backing off. Not needed for radiator tails.
5b. Loctite 577 or Flomasta Pipe Seal. Liquid sealant. Very easy to use, gives a good seal, expensive.

1. It doesn't really make any difference.
2. If you use the ones with O rings, the radiator surface where the O rings sit must be smooth. Very often they aren't.
3. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary sort. Its just a matter of wrapping sufficient PTFE tape around the threads to make a leak free fit.
4. The number of turns of PTFE depends on how tight the threads are without anything. Fairly tight, and you might start with 8 wraps, fairly loose and start with 15 to 20. In proportion for a different fit.
5. There are other sealing methods:
5a. Loctite 55 cord - allows for some (max 1/2 turn) backing off. Not needed for radiator tails.
5b. Loctite 577 or Flomasta Pipe Seal. Liquid sealant. Very easy to use, gives a good seal, expensive.
Appreciate the detailed response.

When using ptfe on rad valves, is it worth adding a dab of something like Hawk White, or is it unnecessary or maybe a pain if you ever have to remove the valve again? I already have Hawk White, as well as hemp, but not used either yet.

Reply to Rad valves with O-rings in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have a Vado summit bath tap with hand diverter. Recently the diverter stopped working and after liaising with Vado, I managed to remove...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock