Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Not Heating Up in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below:

We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the extension was built, and one that looks older and is in the original part of the room.

The radiator in the extended part of the room works fine but the original radiator (small, single panel) is not heating up and the copper pipes leading to it are also cold.

I have tried the below steps, but it is still stone cold:

1) Firstly I tried bleeding the radiator; then

2) I removed the radiator from the wall and flushed it using a hose (there was a tiny bit of debris but no sludge), at the same time I checked water flow from both the inlet and outlets (there is water flowing from both)

3) Re-pressurised the boiler and re-bled the radiator

4) Once none of the above worked, I turned all of the thermostatic valves off on all other radiators in the house to see if they were 'stealing the heat', again no luck!

None of the above has worked and the radiator and pipes remain cold when all other radiators are hot.

I originally assumed it had been disconnected from the system when the extension was done, but as there is water flowing through the pipes, that obviously isn't the case.

I'm not sure if there is anything else I can try as I'm all out of ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The issue might be due to a blockage in the pipes leading to the original radiator or a balancing issue within your heating system. Begin by fully balancing the radiators, starting from the closest to the boiler to the furthest. If no improvement, inspect for internal blockages or a malfunctioning valve. It's essential to ensure that water can circulate freely to all radiators. If these steps don't resolve the issue, you might need to call on a heating engineer for a bit more of a detailed inspection, as there might be more complex problems within your heating system.

Can you trace the pipework?
If you’re getting good flow from both the inlet and outlet but the radiator does not heat up - I suspect that you have either two inlets or two outlets (normally referred to as flow and return).
If this is the case you get no flow through the radiator.
You did say this was the original radiator, which could well mean it has never worked, although you’d think someone would have done something by now- so perhaps it’s not what I said!

The issue might be due to a blockage in the pipes leading to the original radiator or a balancing issue within your heating system. Begin by fully balancing the radiators, starting from the closest to the boiler to the furthest. If no improvement, inspect for internal blockages or a malfunctioning valve. It's essential to ensure that water can circulate freely to all radiators. If these steps don't resolve the issue, you might need to call on a heating engineer for a bit more of a detailed inspection, as there might be more complex problems within your heating system.
Thanks,

I don't think any internal blockages as there was good flow from both pipes.

Next thought was balancing so might give that a try.

Thanks Ben-gee,

I haven't yet tried to trace the pipework as I didn't realise you could have two flow or return pipes to one radiator. I'll do some tracing under the floorboards and see whether anything obvious.

Thanks

You can indeed! It occurs by mistake and more often than you might think!

My current house had this problem and I only discovered it when I decided to make an effort in one of the bedrooms , where the rad heated very poorly. According to neighbours the system had been put in by British Gas about 25 years before - the previous owners used to use an electric fire in that room!

You can indeed! It occurs by mistake and more often than you might think!

My current house had this problem and I only discovered it when I decided to make an effort in one of the bedrooms , where the rad heated very poorly. According to neighbours the system had been put in by British Gas about 25 years before - the previous owners used to use an electric fire in that room!

So I figured it out, thanks to some stupidity on my behalf.

When I said I had good flow from both the flow and return, what I didn't mention was the only reason I knew that is because I unscrewed the TRV whilst the radiator was on the wall (cue water gushing out of the flow pipe all over my daughter's carpet!).....rookie error. I managed to get the TRV back on and stem the flow, and that is the point that I came on here as I was confused given both the flow and the return had water flowing.......

So yesterday I removed the radiator again and decided to run both pipes for a few minutes, just to check if any big air bubbles in the pipes.....having learnt my lesson from the previous day, I left the TRV on this time and turned it from 0 up to fully open, but no water came out.

Thankfully I knew from my rather wet mistake the previous day, that there was definitely water in the pipe.

I was therefore able to work out from this that there was a faulty TRV head which was stuck on the 0 setting, so even when I thought it was fully open, the pin was essentially always pushed closed.

I put everything back together, removed the TRV head which allowed the pin to release and instantly had a boiling hot radiator 🤗

Don't think I would ever have thought to check the actual TRV head as I hadn't seen anything about those being faulty in anything I have read/watched....but a nice, simple fix in the end.

Appreciate the suggestions and they would have been my next steps if I hadn't figured this out.

Thanks

Well done for sorting it.
Waggling the trv pin would have been the first advice you’d have got on this forum - if you hadn’t said you got good flow from both sides!!!!!

Reply to Radiator Not Heating Up in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock