Discuss Radiator queries in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Some basic questions no doubt...

I am having some building work done and the builder managed to get mortar mix on some of my radiators. They could do with a clean anyway.

1) Is it OK to given them a quick hose down with a pressure washer? This would get the cement off and also any other dust and crap in between the 2 panels.

Only concern is the pressure washer may chip the paint off (factory original paint/coating).

I presume the radiator can take getting wet for a short period on the outside - even though they sometimes rust where the valves are....?

2) I have lost one set of the wall brackets that hold the radiators in. Do these tend to be easy to buy off the shelf or are they very specific to each manufacturer and you have to get them with the radiator?

As far as I can work out the set up on the radiator at the back is quite simple and I would hope maybe universal.

You should be fine, but then run the heating for a while to dry out the rads - don't leave them damp for months.

As for the brackets, the only difference usually is the distance in height on the lugs. Use this sort of universal bracket - it means fixing 4 brackets instead of 2, and will cost you a couple of minutes more time, but for just one rad thats not a problem

You should be fine, but then run the heating for a while to dry out the rads - don't leave them damp for months.

As for the brackets, the only difference usually is the distance in height on the lugs. Use this sort of universal bracket - it means fixing 4 brackets instead of 2, and will cost you a couple of minutes more time, but for just one rad thats not a problem

always a solution,always a sale....:smart:

The radiators wont be going back on for maybe 2 months

But I can dry the outside off quite easily.

I did see that I can run a hose through them to clean them out - but when I have my boielt put in they will flush them anyway so no need for me to get involved.

I presme it doesnt matter if the radiators that are off the walls have a bit of old water sitting in them for a couple of months until they are put back into use?

The radiators wont be going back on for maybe 2 months

But I can dry the outside off quite easily.

I did see that I can run a hose through them to clean them out - but when I have my boielt put in they will flush them anyway so no need for me to get involved.

I presume it doesnt matter if the radiators that are off the walls have a bit of old water sitting in them for a couple of months until they are put back into use?

If at all possible get as much water out of them as possible. Water, air and steel don't do well together - rust is the inevitable conclusion after a few weeks.

Also, if they are being stored outside bring them in especially if they have thermostatic radiator valves still attached to them. They are sensitive bits of equipment and are not designed for outdoor use. Saying that TRV's can be purchsed quite cheaply these days if you feel any need replacing.

Hope this helps :)

if you have emptied your heating system and removed your rads and just left them loafing you have probably caused more corrosion in the last few weeks than in the whole of their previous life. So your doesnt matter leaving a bit of water in them comment is soooooo wrong, it matters a lot. If its one or two rads, I would replace them having checked they are the correct output for the rooms they are going into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator queries in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Hi, My step daughter was ripped off by a cowboy builder so I’ve been helping her out and fittted her two radiator. I’ve no idea what is under some...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Hello, we have bulldog trvs on all our radiators but have a problem with 2 of them. The 2 upstairs radiators do not turn off (4 downstairs all...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock