Discuss Radiators not heating up properly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vincentsrus

Just moved into a new house that has been unoccupied for over 8 months. The boiler has previously been well looked after by British Gas on behalf of the previous occupier, so I suspect something has seized up. Regardless of the temperature settings on three of the radiators, they eventually only get just above room temperature ? cool to touch but not stone cold. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be would be appreciated. Thanks.

seems like a system flush may be required and also the trv pins stuck as not been used.
it may be obvious since b/g has been looking after this system that the home owner didnt have b/g to do a flush so decided to sell up instead to save money.

try taking of the tops of the trv and tapping with a soft implement like rubber mallett whilst the heating is on, this may free the valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
just an Idea, has the pump jammed ?, if it hasn't been used for some time they tend to settle on the bearings/crud from rads and need a bit of a tap with a hammer to get them going again or alternatively unscrew the air vent and turn with a screwdriver . Sorry to say this but don't rely on BG yearly services , we have had them for the past 40 years and over that time the service has gone from a Boiler strip and clean down, inspect all rads, valves , tanks and pipework to just sticking a meter into the flue then telling me that I'm not up to date with the latest requirements. The only reason we still maintain them is we have full repair/ replacement with them so if they miss something and it goes t-ts up, its them that have to repair/replace it
I only wish my new Heating Engineers/Plumbers did service contracts:(
oldie

Yes! Would agree depending on boiler type. Its favourite to be either trv pins stuck, pump impeller stuck or possibly gunk in the system.

Try a magnet on the pipes?

If you have got loads of magnetite in the system it will probably stick.

But if you have got a conventional system, just drain, flush out and put new inhibitor in system. You can if you want, get descaler and flush that through as well. All probably well cheaper than a power flush.

All this power flush stuff is expensive for what it is.

But if you have a modern boiler with a plate heat exchanger it may be as well to get a power flush. The problem is the internal water ways on plate exchangers are very close together and it would seem obvious they would block easily.

So the system really does need a good clean out including the boiler.

But then if you have the time you can do it yourself, just do each rad by themselves and flush through with a hose. Same with boiler.

Don't forget to look up the advised number of flushes both hot and cold to give the system. I'll post a bit more if you like?

Good Fortune

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators not heating up properly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The...
Replies
Views
We have a Glowworm BBU56F (back boiler). Its well-maintained/serviced and since we’ve been in the property (15 years) only the Thermocouple was...
Replies
Views
Hot water coming out of the hot water storage cylinder into upstairs radiators after heating/HW turns off and running out of hot water in the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock