Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators stone cold - Flush? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suezq

Our central heating stopped working on Friday night. The boiler is coming on then making loud knocking noises and switching off. After doing this for an hour or so the boiler goes off completely and needs re-setting.

We called out British Gas (Homecare agreement) who have told us that there must be a sludge blockage in the pipes as our boiler and pump are OK. They said we need a system flush but this can't be a Power Flush as this doesn't work on microbore systems. They want to charge £1400 for this as it will involve two people removing each radiator in turn and flushing it out. They followed this by saying that they don't recommend this course of action as our boiler is 14 years old and will soon need replacing and we should have a new boiler fitted which will incorporate a system flush.

We've put some Fernox in the tank but it hasn't made any difference so far so we're looking for advice. Should we find an independent plumber to do a Power Flush or are BG correct in saying that this won't work on our microbore system? We don't want to replace the boiler when it's working perfectly well.

i would definitely get another couple of quotes bg are noturious for selling unnecessary power flushes but there not wrong about the micro bore being difficult to flush

I charge £350 for a full flush of 11 rads. I add the cleaner, leave it for a few days then go back and clean the system with my MagnaCleanse (Which is great for microbore as it uses the system pump) then I take each rad off and flush through just to make sure before I add the inhibitor. At this point I usually fit a MagnaClean filter as well because when I show the customer the results of the flush they are (a) amazed at all the rubbish in the system, and (b) worried that they will have to do it all again the following year, which is possible in some systems :)
Make sure that a good cleaner is used, one that the plumber/heating engineer can vouch for and leave it in the system for at least two days then run it all through while the heating is one - cleaners work best (IMHO) when the system is hot.

I'm available for £1350

Get a couple of quotes from local heating engineers. And get them to double check that pump.

Gimme £300 and a bacon sarnie and copious amounts of tea and I'll bring a lad along and we will take every rad off and flush them out for you.

Providing you don't have 50 rads of course!!

Gimme £300 and a bacon sarnie and copious amounts of tea and I'll bring a lad along and we will take every rad off and flush them out for you.

Providing you don't have 50 rads of course!!

Btw the bacon sarnie is for the lad.......you don't think I'm paying him do you??

I'd be tempted to get someone else to have another look. The fact all radiators stopped suddenly makes me think the pump or something is more likely at fault. Sludge in the system would more likely cause a gradual worsening of performance over time.

Thanks everyone, we're waiting a couple of days for the Fermox to do its job, then draining the system and if that doesn't work we'll call someone else in.

Incidentally we've got 14 radiators and 8mm microbore (or so the BG man said, I don't know what to measure...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators stone cold - Flush? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock