Discuss Rads different temperature in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some rads get very hot and some get warm .if I screw the lockshield valve in a little on the hottest ones ,will this make the warm ones get hotter ? Thanks

Yes. It's called "balancing the system".

A good starting point is to set all LS valves to half-turn open. Adjustments should then be very small (1/12 turn or less). Only adjust one rad at a time and leave 10 minutes for the adjustment to take effect. If you have a separate pump, you will probably be able to set it to a lower setting - check the furthest rad still gets hot. If you have TRVs, remove the heads while balancing.

its most likely that all the valves are fully open, then proceed as above.
worth checking first that the rads that don't warm up are not closed down to much.

It may do.
Its worth trying before you investigate things like blockages caused by sludge.

What type of system is it ?
A 'drop down' where the pipework comes down from above to the lower floor radiators.
Is it a '2 pipe' system ?

Just google these terms for more info in idenifying the system type as this will narrow down advice

doitmyself , is it half a turn from fully closed or half way open between fully closed and fully open ? thanks
Half a turn open from fully closed. You may have two or more turns from fully closed until you can't turn the spindle any more, but most of it is "wasted space" as the valve will be fully open at about 1½ turns from closed.

That is the only way to do it and monitor the changes - but small moves and let it stabilise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rads different temperature in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hi All, would appreciate some advice on next steps with conservatory rad. Single conservatory rad not heating up at all, neither pipe getting...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock