Search the forum,

Discuss Random banging from coldwater pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Bushell

Can someone please help me?

I have quite a loud banging from my coldwater pipes, it happens when I turn off the coldwater tap but also at random times throughout the day (even when i'm not using any water). I had a plumber come to look at it today but he said he had never come accross this problem before and that he couldn't explain why it was banging when the cold water was not in use.

Does anyone please have any suggestions.

Thanks

Tony

is it the cold water pipes or the central heating pipes ?

Hi Tony ... Had any work at all done recently that involved disturbing the cold water supply/pipes?

It was fully open and I have tried turning it down quite a lot, the noise is quieter but it is still there.

does the banging stop with the main stop tap off ? if it does, i could be any number of valves or taps inside the house

are you in a flat or a house,if flat could just be a communal tank with hard washer on ball valve maybe
imho

hey mickie, yes it does stop when the stop tap is turned off, is there anyway to trace where it could be coming from

puddle is on the money, fiddle about with the toilets valve, push down the float and slowly close it, see if that makes it bang.. same with the taps and same with the valve in your loft or any other tank you may have thats fed by a ball valve

Tony all else fails get a shock arrestor fitted! Solves a lot of bangin IMO.

sounds like a dodgy float valve in wc or in cwsc in loft, I get this all the time.
In the wc if its bottom feed try usind fluidmaster pro much better and use less space!

Tony,

Did you ever manage to find what the problem was / get it fixed? I have a similar problem that's exactly as you described. Have shut off every appliance connected to the cold water in the house individually but cannot find what is causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Random banging from coldwater pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hello, purchased a house in February this year and for a few weeks, noticed a loud banging noise which sounds like it is coming from under my sink, but happens when no water is running. I think it could be when my neighbour is either running water or maybe using a washing machine. House is an...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Random push fit pipe with no end on near toilet ,would this be leading to anywhere shower etc think it is connected to a longer pipe headed toward shower cubicle , seems very loose when i move it ,would it be leading to shower or just lying loose from a previous connection? Before new bathroom...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock