Discuss Really confused on flue position in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure where to post this, so please if it’s the wrong place move it to the correct place.

We’ve recently moved into a property and I have a few concerns with the safety of the boiler flue position. It’s been signed off and we’ve got our certificate, yet I’ve been advised from another egineer that it’s not safe, so I’m thoroughly confused!

Have contacted the leggings company and they pretty much said it’s been signed off so it must be safe.

Essentially the window opens into the flue, which isn’t great, as the window has to be open, even a little in the winter for the fire to draw.

Ive attaches some imagines below, one with a rough measurement. I’m just after some advice as to wheater or not it’s something to be concerned about & chase.

4F9B63DB-B162-46C0-BEF0-F05A5B23187C.jpeg

73639AF8-F060-4F53-8792-9A70A1697C4E.jpeg

37C8F331-9D69-4F30-B0DD-C0BA3DD30192.jpeg

That asks so many questions: was the window always like that? Had it been replaced for an opening one? How longs the boiler been in? Is there no ventilation for the fire? What sort of fire is it? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen as it stands. What boiler is it?
Get gas safe out for a free assessment.

Erm ...
Manufacturers instructions say a min of 300 mm from the end of the flue to the window opening which as the crow flies maybe ok , however the fact the window can open against it personally I think is wrong . Others may say different .
One other thing thats noticeable is the flue gaurd is steel and not for a condensing boiler , what is the boiler ?

Was gonna say it ain’t a new boiler

Pleas don’t ignore the fire questions too as that’s just as likely to do you harm

That asks so many questions: was the window always like that? Had it been replaced for an opening one? How longs the boiler been in? Is there no ventilation for the fire? What sort of fire is it? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen as it stands. What boiler is it?
Get gas safe out for a free assessment.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

As far as I'm aware the window has always been there, and has always opened that way. The maisonette we live in used to be one house, but we separated into two and the downstairs converted for an older lady.

It's an open fire. From what I can work out, our bedroom used to be the living room, with the bigger of the two fires (which is now been boarded up with an air vent stuck in) and the one in the now living room (where the window opens onto the flue) used to be a dining room.

From what I can work out the boiler is a Potterton profile, though it looks like some ID stickers or what not have been removed.

Does the window when open count as a opposite surface?

Looks like an old Potterton conventional boiler. 15/20 years old. It also looks like a fairly new window 5 /7 years ago. Please let us know what make and model of fire you have as if you have to open the window to use the fire to get it to draw surely that would be classed as immediately dangerous and should have be capped off. Is there a vent to outside in the room the fire is in?

I think based on this you need an urgent second opinion. I’d say it’s unsafe, looks like my esteemed colleagues agree

If you must use things in the interim for gods sake get a carbon monoxide alarm

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

As far as I'm aware the window has always been there, and has always opened that way. The maisonette we live in used to be one house, but we separated into two and the downstairs converted for an older lady.

It's an open fire. From what I can work out, our bedroom used to be the living room, with the bigger of the two fires (which is now been boarded up with an air vent stuck in) and the one in the now living room (where the window opens onto the flue) used to be a dining room.

From what I can work out the boiler is a Potterton profile, though it looks like some ID stickers or what not have been removed.

Does the window when open count as a opposite surface?
For fo asking questions you had answered above. Typed my message then got distracted with the kids before I could send it :p:p:rolleyes:

Its obviously been there years , the way I read your post was it was a newish installation so please ignore the flue gaurd terminal opinion .
In reality nobody is going to leave the window open against the flue so yes I would count it as a opposite surface and I am guessing should be at least 600 away or maybe 1200.

Looks like an old Potterton conventional boiler. 15/20 years old. It also looks like a fairly new window 5 /7 years ago. Please let us know what make and model of fire you have as if you have to open the window to use the fire to get it to draw surely that would be classed as immediately dangerous and should have be capped off. Is there a vent to outside in the room the fire is in?

I'm assuming all the windows were replaced with double glazing at the same point. The house attached next door is mirrored in layout (before the conversion) and they have a window in the same place. The fireplace is just a standard open fireplace with fire grate in the bottom. No air-brick in the half or anywhere in the room, which I find confusing as the house has suspended flooring. It just so happens the we've been without a letter box for the last 3 months (landlord was supposed to be replacing) which lets enough air in through the hallway. Block it up however and the smoke will either fill the room with smoke, or get pulled back down the other chimney and out the air vent in the bedroom....

Open fire pal

My bet is the window has been replaced and the fitters haven’t contemplated the flue. No surprise. Doesn’t answer the poor fire pull question

Your letter box is supplying the fires ventilation...
FFS stop using the fire , close the window and use the boiler and get a hetas guy round to sort the fire .

I am out of this one !!

If they argue the toss regarding the flue/window issue gas safe will back you up

I'm assuming all the windows were replaced with double glazing at the same point. The house attached next door is mirrored in layout (before the conversion) and they have a window in the same place. The fireplace is just a standard open fireplace with fire grate in the bottom. No air-brick in the half or anywhere in the room, which I find confusing as the house has suspended flooring. It just so happens the we've been without a letter box for the last 3 months (landlord was supposed to be replacing) which lets enough air in through the hallway. Block it up however and the smoke will either fill the room with smoke, or get pulled back down the other chimney and out the air vent in the bedroom..
The smoke should not be coming down the other flue mate. I would use it.

Contact the letting agent and tell them you want a different engineer sent out to inspect and the work outing right. Especially the fire. If they say no then contact gas safe.

looks like there used to be a BF boiler at some time, Proberly find that window never had a opening on that side and new DG windows fitted and the flue has been overlooked typical of DG company's But you need to get this fire problem sorted if its pulling in smoke

looks like there used to be a BF boiler at some time, Proberly find that window never had a opening on that side and new DG windows fitted and the flue has been overlooked typical of DG company's But you need to get this fire problem sorted if its pulling in smoke
I bet it hasn’t got a cowl on and the jackdaw has gone to town.

Thank you guys, been a real help. Have attached a picture of the boiler and what not. The chimney was supposedly swept just before we moved in... once again I’m skeptical.

536AA2F7-737A-48B9-BCB5-765818D33AE6.jpeg

Thanks. Chimney may have been swept but without correct ventilation you’re never gonna get the pull

Little update, which has left me even more confused!

So having messaged the leggings conpany, who were not helpful at all “it wouldn’t have been signed off if it wasn’t safe” So I insisted on a second opinion from a different engineer, as it’s nowhere near the 600mm distance. So she finally agreed to send out an engineer (the same one)

Later that day I get an email saying it’s coming platelet safe to use, but he’s unplugged it anyway and that it’s up to us if we turn it on. And could she please have he contact information of the engineer who told me to raise the issue with them (also registered) Gwt home to find stickers over the boiler saying it’s unsafe to use and a form saying it’s been ‘ID’.....

Call out gas safe mate it’s free

The letting agent is skating on thin ice. If you have their gas cert I’d check the credentials of their engineer

You don't need to give the Agent anyones details now.

Next thing is to contact the Agent and thank them for sorting the situation out :oops: but can they now say when the boiler will be sorted out so you can have the heating you are paying for.
And will they also be looking into the Fire situation as well.

p.s take some photos of the boiler with stickers on and keep them.

I’ve not turned it back on, and won’t. It’s just frustrating as I’ve been suffering headaches since moving in. Wheather they’re connected or not, no idea. Just seems like everyone’s trying to cover their bum, and all I’m asking for is a safe property to live in

Trust me mate if someone has signed it all off as safe they will be twitching at the moment they were probably lucky that they had the chance to come back and reassess their opinion. Dare I say get a carbon monoxide alarm for when all is sorted. LL should have provided one for the fire at least

Also I would now enlist Gas Safe before anything is rectified otherwise things can be covered up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Really confused on flue position in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back