Search the forum,

Discuss Regulations for fitting Potterton Promax SL15 boiler near gas oven and hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevepl

Hello all, I am looking for some advice please.

We are having a new boiler fitted next month, a Potterton Promax SL15. We wanted it fitting in the same place as the current boiler, i.e., next to the freestanding gas cooker. The advisor from British Gas says it cannot go there as there has to be 6 inches/150mm between boiler and hob. I know there are regulations re., a boiler being above/to the side of a gas hob, but the boiler would be below hob height.

I cannot find anything anywhere re., this 150mm/6 inch rule, anyone else heard of it ?

Hope someone can advise, thanks,

Steve

Yep that's too close. Even a kitchen unit normally has to be 150mm either side of the hob.

Thanks for that Dan, but I have found Gas Safe bulletin 022 which states that the 150mm regulation only applies to anything adjacent to or above the hob.

Below hob height, adjacent to the oven it states a 20mm gap, this is where our boiler would preferably be located. Is this 20mm gap regulation still applicable ?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Fit a partition between the two which is non combustable providing it does not go against both manufacturers instructions.

Get a local independent Gas Safe engineer in. You'll get a better job for a lot less money.

Good idea, thanks for thet. I have found from the gas safe website Technical Bulletin 022 which says below hob height it only needs a 20mm gap, there will actually be around 120mm. I have also found that cooker manufacturers instructions take precedence, we still have them, my wife is about to dig them out.

I'm beginning to think that would have been a better plan !!!! Fools rush in springs to mind !!!

cookers instructions may take precendence over its own clearances to other things but you will still need to follow both the cooker and boiler instructions as neither one will over rule the other. Any questions phone the manufacturer for guidence.

Good point, I had already checked Potterton's site, they state the boiler needs just 5mm either side as it runs cool. I have spoken to the BG salesman again, he said the boiler only needs 5mm either side but again he repeated the need for 150mm gap due to heat from the hob. I again pointed out that the boiler will be below hob height and any heat from the hob, (as heat rises). He went very quiet for a while, then said the engineers will put it where we want it if they can.

Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated.

wouldnt want to service your new boiler or try working on it, I hate lieing down to work, gives me a stiff neck

Don't use BG. Get a local gas installer. In fact post your location and perhaps one of us could assist.

BG will be at least 49% more . And they will throw it where they want ...... Not really consumer focused more finance focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Regulations for fitting Potterton Promax SL15 boiler near gas oven and hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock