Search the forum,

Discuss repair small hole in plastic waste pipe. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

dontloseit

small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ?
Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe which serves the sink & shower in the loft when doing some work in the toilet underneath on the ceiling i have cut away the plasterboard to reveal the hole in the pipe but space is limited up there & would have been able to remove the pipe if it was not glued in place at both ends/joints & replaced it with another piece of pipe ,So a few years ago i had a knife cause a hole in a resin sink & repaired this with a fibreglass repair kit & have had no problems since , is the fibreglass repair kit suitable to fix the hole in the pipe or should i look at one of the silicone self fusing tape product or the self amalgamating tape ? the ones i looked at both claim to be watertight & self adhere to itself creating a watertight seal , bearing in mind space is limited to wrap tape around the pipe which brand would be the best one to buy ? Or is there a way to break the seal on the glued ends without too much movement with the connecting pipes up there.

Gorilla ductape is pretty good. The black one. You don't even need to go around just make sure the surface is clean. Good for ages, I fixed a gazebo with it with no problem. Job's done đź‘Ť

If you drilled through pipe from below, presumably the hole is in the underside of the pipe and therefore will always be a wet section.
I would cut the pipe where the hole is and remove 1/2 “ or so.
You say the pipe is glued at both ends so I’m assuming it is solvent weld.
Get a straight coupling and cut out the central stop and file it smooth - to create a slip coupling. Mark each pipe 2” from the end.
By manipulating the pipes you should be able to slide the coupling into one pipe. Then apply solvent weld to the ends of both pipes and slide the coupling back to join them- pushing both towards one another and make sure you have an equal distance from the coupling to each mark you made earlier, so both pipes are inserted fully.
Do all this with a twisting motion and all will be good.

Just to add replacing the damaged section as described above is the ideal solution but if you don't have the room you could make a repair band from a same diameter pipe that has been split and solvent weld it in place.

Ignore this advice, please!

One tiny detail, when you have the two cut ends to join together just give them a rub with an abrasive paper or such to remove the shiny layer. It gives a better chance for the glue to be watertight when you push the pieces together.

Last edited:
Absolute Rubbish mate, the shiny surface is just a product of the manufacturing process which solvent weld will melt and adhere no matter. No MI's have ever said that.

Absolute Rubbish mate, the shiny surface is just a product of the manufacturing process which solvent weld will melt and adhere no matter. No MI's have ever said that.
Very kind, that you brought my attention to this. I learnt an inappropriate thing from the internet. I'll forget that than.

Ignore this advice, please!

One tiny detail, when you have the two cut ends to join together just give them a rub with an abrasive paper or such to remove the shiny layer. It gives a better chance for the glue to be watertight when you push the pieces together.

Rooboo, it’s good that you’re keen. But please refrain from giving advice with great authority on subjects which you clearly lack knowledge - this applies to many threads but on this one your earlier advice to use duct tape would more than likely bring someone’s ceiling down or worse.

Rooboo, it’s good that you’re keen. But please refrain from giving advice with great authority on subjects which you clearly lack knowledge - this applies to many threads but on this one your earlier advice to use duct tape would more than likely bring someone’s ceiling down or worse.
No problem, thank you for the advice. I admit it was silly what I said earlier.

Reply to repair small hole in plastic waste pipe. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock