Search the forum,

Discuss Replace 50 year old gloworm ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a very old Gloworm boiler. Been advised by gas engineer to replace for modern unit. It's working fine but worried about availibilty of parts and getting a plumber to work on it. Any advise ?

Probably not the most concensual of advice I'm going to give but unless you're a particularly vulnerable person make provision for when it does die so you're not at anybody's mercy...

Buy a couple or three oil space heaters and make sure your hot water cylinder immersion is working and run your old Gloworm until it dies.

She has a modern system but I still like to keep two oil heaters at my 89yr old ma's place just in case I can't get there as quickly as I'd like.

Last edited:
Probably not the most concensual of advice I'm going to give but unless you're a particularly vulnerable person make provision for when it does die so you're not at anybody's mercy...

Buy a couple or three oil space heaters and make sure your hot water cylinder immersion is working and run your old Gloworm until it dies.

She has a modern system but I still like to keep two oil heaters at my 89yr old ma's place just in case I can't get there as quickly as I'd like.

I’ve got the same view. If it’s working, leave it alone. If you start to spend more than £400 a year fixing it, change it.

Also gonna add, when you change the boiler, be prepared to change all the rads too. And possibly a couple of power flushes. There will be a lot of Rubbish in the pipes/rads.

Good advice from the guys a 50 year old system will need replacing completely and it's alot of work and probably to much stress and worry for a elderly person to cope with it should be done with the property vacated, a little holiday or temporary care package is advisable. Regards kop

Thanks so much for your replies. The OP is in their 60's so not sure if that's classed as old. The consensus of opinion seems to be to leave the old boiler in place until it stops or starts costing too much. The issue with this that I didn't mention is that the current flue and parts of the inside of the boiler apparently contain asbestos. In the case of the flue I believe it's a very diluted form of asbestos which I've researched. If this boiler contains some asbestos I'm guessing most others of that vintage will too, so should they all be condemned ? I hadn't really thought about replacing the boiler could mean replacing the whole system. If I get a quote to replace the boiler and agree, will that cover me for any problems that may occur with the old rads etc. Thank you again for your very helpful replies.

Thanks so much for your replies. The OP is in their 60's so not sure if that's classed as old. The consensus of opinion seems to be to leave the old boiler in place until it stops or starts costing too much. The issue with this that I didn't mention is that the current flue and parts of the inside of the boiler apparently contain asbestos. In the case of the flue I believe it's a very diluted form of asbestos which I've researched. If this boiler contains some asbestos I'm guessing most others of that vintage will too, so should they all be condemned ? I hadn't really thought about replacing the boiler could mean replacing the whole system. If I get a quote to replace the boiler and agree, will that cover me for any problems that may occur with the old rads etc. Thank you again for your very helpful replies.
A quote for a boiler is just that. It won’t cover other stuff.

I wouldn’t use someone who just quotes for the boiler without at least discussing the other issues you’re highly likely to come across.

If you don’t improve/upgrade other aspects of the system, you could kill your new boiler prematurely.

I’ve seen brand new boilers dead in 3 years even after a powerflush and magnetic filter fitted.

In their 60's could be young or old. Depends very much on the person!

If you're having work done on that boiler, the issue is finding someone who fully understands the requirements in place for working with asbestos and is who is able to comply with the law. If the boiler is to be replaced and the existing asbestos is not likely to degrade in condition, either the person removing the old boiler needs to have the above traits, or it may be worth considering leaving the old boiler in situ and merely disconnecting it and fitting a new boiler to another location.

In the UK, we don't usually have a requirement to have asbestos removed as asbestos, in good condition and left alone, is not a hazard. Unfortunately, in domestic settings there is no duty to manage and so deteriorating asbestos containing materials (ACMs) are often overlooked. It's when ACMs are disturbed or fall apart by themselves that fibres are released. The problem is that it often is disturbed, sometimes unwittingly, by people who think they know what they are doing. The UK is quite lax with asbestos compared with other European countries which may be why it has the highest rates of asbestos-related deaths in Europe. I would highly recommend Googling 'asbestos essentials HSE' and getting an idea of what safe work with asbestos looks like before letting anyone work on it.

Reply to Replace 50 year old gloworm ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock