Search the forum,

Discuss Replace combi - new flue needed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glaflyer

Hi,

Newbie here - just found this forum so I hope someone can help.

I have a flat with a 5/6 year old Saunier Duval combi gas boiler which causes continuing problems. I have been loking into replacing this with a new more reliable boiler.

I had a visit from a local firm to look at it. He said that to install a Baxi boiler would need a new flue. The existing flue runs horizontally from the boiler through a "box" which is part of the ceiling of a bedroom to an outside wall which is six stories above ground level. So the work would need to take down part of the bedroom ceiling and would need scaffolding up to the 6th floor to access the outlet. The flat is in a modern block built some 5 to 6 years ago. So the work would be disruptive and expensive.

Is there any type of boiler I could use which would minimise the disruption and expense of replacing the existing flue?

Thanks in advance

Martyn

Hi and welcome,

"old Saunier Duval combi gas boiler which causes continuing problems"

No surprises there then!

So what you are saying is that the current boiler vertically flued ?

Unless there is a suitable location on an outside wall that will permit the boiler to be sited there then you will have to site the new boiler in the same place and install a new vertical flue at the extra expense I'm afraid.

Difficult to advise without seeing the property of course :)

Oh and dont forget the new boiler will be condensing so you need to make sure there is a suitable drain/waste for the condensate to run into.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

No the flue currently runs horizontally from the cupboard with the boiler, through the bedroom (along the ceiling) to the outside wall (6 stories up). The building is 8 stories high.

I had thought that a flue was a flue was a flue -- but apparently not!!

If I can't use the existing flue its going to be a major expense

Martyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, all flues are different I'm afraid and boiler specific. From what you have said it looks like you are going to have to endure the disruption if you want to change the boiler.

As said no flue is the same,also the new regs state that the flue must not be enclosed ie "boxed in" they should be able to be inspected throughout thier entirety. can you not put the boiler in a different place?.

and more still - the new boiler will have to be installed to manufacturers instructions which supercede the gas regs. no manufacturer will allow you to join their boiler to a different boilers flu system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace combi - new flue needed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock