Discuss Replacement for Honeywell 3way valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikeman01

My Honeywell 3 way valve has failed again. Time and time again it is the gear mechanism that wears and fails, I seem to have to change it every 2 years.

They are very expensive for such an unreliable part so this time I want to change it for something different. Is there a direct replacement for the valve head from another manufacturer that fits the valve?

Alternatively, is there a more reliable replacement.

In the meantime it wont stay in the mid position because the gear keeps jumping so the question is how can i rewire it to stop it trying but keep power to the pump/boiler etc.

Thanks

I had considered that but the valve is so easy to move, no stiffness at all.

Hmmm just wondering why it would be eating heads. The Honeywell valves are top notch imo. It's certainly not a big job to swap the hole unit.

There's something else wrong - Honeywell motorised valves (heads and bodies) are bulletproof in normal usage.

Try a new motor in the valve head. Or there are some honeywell valve body comparable ones available... But like others have said, honeywell a very good make of valve definitely change head & body.

There's something else wrong - Honeywell motorised valves (heads and bodies) are bulletproof in normal usage.

Really? I've replaced them regularly in every house I've ever lived in. Sometimes the motors go but mostly it's the crappy gear mechanism.

I also asked at work today and almost every person without exception had had one replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I've replaced them regularly in every house I've ever lived in. I also asked at work today and almost every person without exception had had one replaced.

Just looked at our return in warranty stats for last year. Based on our two year warranty, returns on motorised valves for Honeywell were 4 per 1000 sold. That compares favourably with the 7 per 1000 return rate for the other premium brand and the 22 per 1000 return rate for the budget brand.

Really? I've replaced them regularly in every house I've ever lived in. Sometimes the motors go but mostly it's the crappy gear mechanism.

I also asked at work today and almost every person without exception had had one replaced.

just remember everything has a finite life, if you use salus or iflo, you'll believe that honeywells are the bees knees if a few months time

just remember everything has a finite life, if you use salus or iflo, you'll believe that honeywells are the bees knees if a few months time

But the finite life of a honeywell motorized valve, in a properly wired up and relatively clean domestic system ought to be 10 - 20 years, not 10 - 20 months. Thats why I said I thought something else was wrong.

Get your engineer in go find out why this is happening . Sometimes corrosion inside the pipes along with sludge can impede the motors job of opening n closing the valve and with lots of restrictions can ware on the motor and shorten it's life span. Aswell as you may not be getting the good from your fuels if pipes need flushed.

As mentioned that is not the norm for Honeywell valves. The generally last a lot longer. You have either been very unlucky with faulty unit or something else is a miss.

Change the whole body and head and also have electrics checked just in case.
Honeywell really are the best of the bunch and given choice I would not fit anything else.
Danfoss and drayton are a bit cheaper though.

But the finite life of a honeywell motorized valve, in a properly wired up and relatively clean domestic system ought to be 10 - 20 years, not 10 - 20 months. Thats why I said I thought something else was wrong.

My two Honeywell V4043 valves have been working for over 20 years although the motors have failed on both of them, but they were easily replaced.

I suppose I have just signed their death warrant.......

I will take onboard the suggestions, thanks.

I noticed that when the heating is on the honeywell motor is by design permanently engaged wasting electricity and getting very hot. Also the gear springs are way stronger than they need to be putting unnecessary strain on the gears. No wonder they fail. A very poor design. I think Honeywell are taking the **** charging £100+ for these things.

I've now bought a TNS valve which I hope will be more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement for Honeywell 3way valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock