Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement inspection cover, can't find a replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an inspection cover on my driveway, the cap has cracked and broken, i managed to get it off (unscrew) but now can not find a replacement via the usual outlets. Is there an alternative solution anyone would know about? Or if i need to fit something else would you recommend?

Pipe Diameter is 165mm internal and 180mm external at the top (photo attached). It's about 4m down so anything goes in there it's gone, which is why a replacement screw cap would be my preferred option.

Attachments

• IMG_7676.jpeg
    IMG_7676.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Can you post a photo of the cover, or is there a make on the lid? Just looks like a push fit type imo. What are the lid dimensions?
Unfortunately the cap was in several pieces once i'd got it off and i gave it to my neighbour who said he could get me a replacement and now he can't find it! Definitely a screw thread, i personally lost a lot of knuckle skin removing it. If there is a 180mm push fit available that would be ideal, but i've only seen 160mm. I've attached a pic of what it looked like (although ours was flush). White happy to replace with another product but unsure what would work.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 09.52.11.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 09.52.11.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 12
The item pictured is an inspection cap, not suitable for use in a driveway or footpath, hence why it cracked and caused loss of skin.
It will have been incorrectly fitted by whoever did the block paving.

It will need replacing with something more suitable.
For a driveway it will need to be a topcover bedded in mortar / concrete for support and not reliant on support from the in ground plastic pipe.

The pipe in the ground is most likely 160mm dia, it would need measuring further down the pipe below the visible joint where the top section fits on.
Rodding access points are normally fitted to an angled pipe so it's a mystery what is below that pipe in the ground.

Last edited:
The item pictured is an above ground inspection cap, not suitable for use in a driveway or footpath, hence why it cracked and caused loss of skin.
It will have been incorrectly fitted by whoever did the block paving.

It will need replacing with something more suitable.
For a driveway it will need to be a topcover bedded in mortar / concrete for support and not reliant on support from the in ground plastic pipe.

The pipe in the ground is most likely 160mm dia, it would need measuring further down the pipe below the visible joint where the top section fits on.
Rodding access points are normally fitted to an angled pipe so it's a mystery what is below that pipe in the ground.
Thanks, yes the pipe in the ground is 160mm, it goes straight down vertical about 4m to the victorian clay pipes. Do you think something like this (mortar bedded) would work? 'Hunter Underground Sealed Rodding Plate 150mm x 150mm - 110mm' (Pic attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 11.23.41.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 11.23.41.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 8
It's probably the cheapest / simplest option as when it goes to 160mm the covers start at around 300mm sq and are expensive (relatively).

Probably cut the upper section of the old access point down so the new cover fits direct over and then bed it in mortar.

Another, more expensive way, would be to remove the top section, fit a 160mm to 110mm reducer in the ground and a short section of 110mm pipe with a 110m sealed cover on top.

If it's surface water below it won't need to be a perfct seal.
If it's foul it should be fully sealed to prevent smells.

If it's an old drainage system I'd suspect that the pipe was originally an above ground low level vent for an interceptor trap as pic below.

Interceptor trap MG drains.PNG
photo from MGdrains

It's probably the cheapest / simplest option as when it goes to 160mm the covers start at around 300mm sq and are expensive (relatively).

Probably cut the upper section of the old access point down so the new cover fits direct over and then bed it in mortar.

Another, more expensive way, would be to remove the top section, fit a 160mm to 110mm reducer in the ground and a short section of 110mm pipe with a 110m sealed cover on top.

If it's surface water below it won't need to be a perfct seal.
If it's foul it should be fully sealed to prevent smells.

If it's an old drainage system I'd suspect that the pipe was originally an above ground low level vent for an interceptor trap as pic below.

View attachment 78248
photo from MGdrains
Thanks for your input. Yes it is a foul drain and there is a trap down there somewhere. They obviously just put a cap on it and the paving for the driveway was just laid around it.

Reply to Replacement inspection cover, can't find a replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock