Discuss Replacing taps behind the washing machine?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi i am new & useless at DIY i have old bulky plastic taps connected to my washing machine - due to new units being fit i need 3 cm more space at the back so can i replace with smaller taps? also as the washer is 10yrs old can i cap one off ..if so which one,, hot or cold? i appreciate your time thanks

Attachments

• A3538A42-0915-48F2-9F8A-88802AAD891B (1).jpeg
    A3538A42-0915-48F2-9F8A-88802AAD891B (1).jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 33
The blue is probably cold, you night find the other tap has a red indicator on it.
To make more space try isolating them, loosening them and turning them so the handles are flush with the wall.

They should just rotate eg left and right as they look push fit

They look a bit like the supatap, so maybe you’re unable to rotate them. Yes you can replace with different ones, but regards capping off the hot valve/tap, you don’t want to leave a dead leg, so need to cap back to the tee, no more than twice the diameter of the pipe. This is to prevent stagnant water.

You can turn the cold one downwards and near the wall the top one upwards. If you don’t need the hot then you can cap it of but if your machine has both hoses then it’s cheaper to use hot water as the machine heats with electric.

Reply to Replacing taps behind the washing machine?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
A few months ago I wanted to connect a 1000l water butt (fabricated from galv steel) to our washing machine. After trawling many forums and...
Replies
Views
R
Hi there, Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this, my plumbing knowledge is very limited. I have a cold water feed going into cistern with...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just moved the washing machine into the garage and it will not drain. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I have installed...
Replies
Views
Back