Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing timer on an unusual central heating / hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dagnug

Hello, I'm not a plumber but like to fix things myself where possible, and any help on the following would be much appreciated!

My sister has recently moved house and the gas boiler that does the central heating and hot water is not a system I've come across before... in the airing cupboard there's a hot water tank, a mechanical timer switch, and a unit with "off/timed/on" and "water priority/heating priority" switches. There's a valve that moves mechanically when changing between hot water and central heating, and obviously radiators around the house, and a room thermostat downstairs.

The mechanical timer has broken, and I wondered if it would be possible to replace the room thermostat with a programmable thermostat with inbuilt timer, such as the Honeywell THR870CUK to do the timing, if I leave the switch in the airing cupboard set to "on" rather than "timed"? (This worked for my combi-boiler at home.)

I think this would enable the central heating to go on and off at the set times, but would this also be able to time the hot water going on and off? Maybe this is beyond the limitations of the system anyway and the water just comes on when the heating does? I can't remember if the broken timer had separate controls for heating and hot water.

It may be I have to get a plumber in to replace the broken timer, but if changing the room thermostat for one with an inbuilt timer would fix the problem that's be great, as it's within the limitations of my skills! Or is there another type of timer that's relatively easy to install?

Many thanks,

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a programmable thermostat such as the Honeywell CM907 will do the job of time control for the heating, but you will still need a timeclock for the hot water. Assuming the motorised valves are working OK you are probably best off calling an experienced electrician as the wiring can be complex for an amateur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing timer on an unusual central heating / hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and realised that there is no room external thermostat wired to the Ideal Combi boiler. There is only mechanical timer on it. I saw some videos on Internet that mechanical timer can be replaced with electrical one but i am not sure if it is compatible with...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock