Search the forum,

Discuss Room thermostat, what’s the point? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, as it’s starting to get chilly at night, we’re thinking of having the heating on at night… well the wife is.
Which led me to wonder whats the point of having a room stat when the radiators all have their own thermostat controls?
We currently have just a time controller for the heating, is there really any point in adding a room stat?

Yes as the boiler could be heating away and all the trvs shut so wasting gas etc

That’s why you need to remove the trv where the room stat is etc

Thanks for the reply.
The room stat is in the kitchen which has no radiators.
But I get what you mean.

Is it fixed on the wall or movable eg wireless?

Weird place to put it normally kitchens keep warm with cooking etc

The present arrangement is not satisfactory. It doesn't comply with building regulations, the house temperature will be uncontrolled and uncomfortable and it'll be wasting a lot of gas.

From the description, it should be straightforward to replace the thermostat in the kitchen with the receiver for a wireless programmer/thermostat. Locate the thermostat sender somewhere conventional, e.g. the hallway or a living/sitting room, where it will be influenced by a radiator that has had the TRV removed.

I'd think this simple change will give you a noticeable reduction in your gas consumption, my guess would be about 10%, possibly more. And the house will be much nicer to live in when it the cold weather comes.

The present arrangement is not satisfactory. It doesn't comply with building regulations, the house temperature will be uncontrolled and uncomfortable and it'll be wasting a lot of gas.

From the description, it should be straightforward to replace the thermostat in the kitchen with the receiver for a wireless programmer/thermostat. Locate the thermostat sender somewhere conventional, e.g. the hallway or a living/sitting room, where it will be influenced by a radiator that has had the TRV removed.

I'd think this simple change will give you a noticeable reduction in your gas consumption, my guess would be about 10%, possibly more. And the house will be much nicer to live in when it the cold weather comes.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
That would make a lot more sense, although the house has always been comfortable in winter and not used stupid amounts of fuel.
A saving on costs would be a great bonus though. 👍

I have mine, a fixed, digital type with 0.3C switching differential, in our combined dining/living room, set to 18C/19C during the day from 0700 to 1900 and normally 21.5C/22C from ~ 1900 to midnight, when/if we go out during the day we just press a button to change it to 17C.
All the remaining rads (also) have TRVs, kitchen set to give 19C, bedrooms 16/17C. Hallway 18C.

I have mine, a fixed, digital type with 0.3C switching differential, in our combined dining/living room, set to 18C/19C during the day from 0700 to 1900 and normally 21.5C/22C from ~ 1900 to midnight, when/if we go out during the day we just press a button to change it to 17C.
All the remaining rads (also) have TRVs, kitchen set to give 19C, bedrooms 16/17C. Hallway 18C.
Thanks for the reply.
Does those settings not mean that the boiler will be on, trying to heat to 18/19C or 21.5/22C but the radiators won’t be heating as they’re set at 16/17C?

No, the boiler has its own thermostat, set (mine) to 70C, so once the boiler is switched on from the roomstat then it will control the boiler/system water to 70C, the TRVs will control the flow rhrough their respective rads to give their requiredroom temperatures, obviously if the dining/living room roomstat is satisfied then the boiler switches off but because the settings are higher than the other room TRVs then generally these rooms are satisfied before the living/dining room is reached, I have the two rads in the living/dining rooms throttled/balanced as well which helps to achieve this, it works quite well. I would definitely though suggest installing a digital roomstat as it gives very tight control but I wouldn't go for anything too fancy like one with TPI control except that you can disable this feature.
As I said, mine has differential temperature control (set to 0.3C) so if the roomstat temp setpoint is 20C then it should swith off at 20C and switch back in at 19.7C but I've noticed that when the rooms are heated up that it seems to switch in at 19.9/19.8ish and switch off at 20C. I would think that all the well known manufacturers make this type, mine is a (less well known) FantiniCosmi.

No, the boiler has its own thermostat, set (mine) to 70C, so once the boiler is switched on from the roomstat then it will control the boiler/system water to 70C, the TRVs will control the flow rhrough their respective rads to give their requiredroom temperatures, obviously if the dining/living room roomstat is satisfied then the boiler switches off but because the settings are higher than the other room TRVs then generally these rooms are satisfied before the living/dining room is reached, I have the two rads in the living/dining rooms throttled/balanced as well which helps to achieve this, it works quite well. I would definitely though suggest installing a digital roomstat as it gives very tight control but I wouldn't go for anything too fancy like one with TPI control except that you can disable this feature.
As I said, mine has differential temperature control (set to 0.3C) so if the roomstat temp setpoint is 20C then it should swith off at 20C and switch back in at 19.7C but I've noticed that when the rooms are heated up that it seems to switch in at 19.9/19.8ish and switch off at 20C. I would think that all the well known manufacturers make this type, mine is a (less well known) FantiniCosmi.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I think I understand how it’s meant to work now.
Looks like I’d better get a room stat fitted before the cold weather!

Reply to Room thermostat, what’s the point? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock