Search the forum,

Discuss Running twin impeller pump off indirect hot water without a surrey flange, bad idea? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Hill

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure i'm correct here and not going mad but wanted to check before causing problems.

My mum is looking to get some bathroom work done and the company she is thinking about appear to be suggesting sighting a twin impeller pump under that bath to feed the shower and taps.

They have made no mention of adding a surrey (or any other type) flange to her vented indirect hot water cylinder. It appears they just want to attach it to the existing hot and cold feeds under the bath and be done with it.

Now as far as i'm concerned this seems a total no no and a recipe for disaster because the pump could get air in it from the top of the cylinder (hence why one fits a surrey flange) which would damage it. Not just that but the hot and cold bath pipe work are downstream from both the basin and toilet meaning that if either are used whilst the bath is filling then surely there is a good chance of air being sucked into the system by the pump downstream of the toilet or sink.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Running twin impeller pump off indirect hot water without a surrey flange, bad id

Whatever pump is fitted if it's not fitted as per manufacturers instruction's it will deem any guarantee null and void ......regards Turnpin:yes:

Re: Running twin impeller pump off indirect hot water without a surrey flange, bad id

Hi Turnpin, thank for your response. I'll take it that you think i'm right to be concerned here.

I'm just looking at various manufacturers install instructions and both Salamander and Stuart turner pumps say they must have dedicated air free supplies whilst grundfos say you 'can' supply direct from the cylinder but this increases the risk of air getting in and causing issues.

Unless they're planning on installing some magic pump it looks like they are being cheeky then....

Pumps fitted under baths are also not really the best place to be fitted poor access and an out of sight out of mind mentality means these Guy's will be a long way down the road when the proverbial hits the fan.......try and find out what pump they are thinking of using and download the m.i installation manual.......or maybe get another quote from one of the Guy's/girl's on here......best of luck regards Turnpin:yes:

I never put 240 volts under the bath! That's shocking!

Are these guys definitely plumbers and not builders

They're an adaptions company putting In low access baths etc but its looking like they might not have all the technical knowledge they need. On the other hand there may have been some miscommunication or mistake. I think ill need to speak with them and see because that might clear it up or make clear they don't know what they're on about.

To be honest, technical knowledge aside they clearly aren't bothering to follow manufacturers instructions. Unless they are fitting some weird Chinese made rubbish I think you'll find most twin pumps over here require a flange or dedicated feed. I would strongly suggest you get a second/third quote

Last edited:

The pumps shouldn't be installed not further then 4 m from the cylinder. But Stuart turner would accept to T off from the hot water expansion pipe if a flange isn't practical.

But if you do connect at the hot water expansion pipe you will to make sure that the cold water storage tank is at least 1m above the hot water cylinder.

But as you mentioned it's always better to get the right flange but not only for warranty purposes

Pumps fitted under baths are also not really the best place to be fitted poor access and an out of sight out of mind mentality means these Guy's will be a long way down the road when the proverbial hits the fan.......try and find out what pump they are thinking of using and download the m.i installation manual.......or maybe get another quote from one of the Guy's/girl's on here......best of luck regards Turnpin:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Just don't give the manufacturers the opportunity to wriggle out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running twin impeller pump off indirect hot water without a surrey flange, bad idea? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock