Discuss Salary in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lenny

Hi,

How much would a general plumber be expected to earn (outside of London) for a 40-50 hr week?

thanks

Len

Training company view 40 to 50 Thousand
Real world 20 Max
ps I am no training company

average £10 an hour - 50 hours = £500 per week, if you worked that for 50 weeks per year £25k, dont look so great when you work it out.
then take off your outgoings if you work for yourself

I'm not convinced anyone really knows. Wages working for a company are fairly common knowledge but who really knows what the average self-employed bloke earns? It must vary loads. I've worked for several who earn quite a lot. One is very open about amounts made, the other I just worked it out from observation. They're established and have paid attention to the business side. I'm sure there's lots of plumbers sitting on their backsides moaning that there's no work out there, not advertising properly, not looking after their customers and not earning much. So an average......who knows. I suppose 25k sounds about right.

£500 a week sounds good until you break it down, even £750 when you take away holidays, vans etc etc aint that good

I work in London as a plumber and heating engineer running complex high end resident/light commercial jobs and make £150 a day as a subby no van provided. Does this sound like a fair wage?

are u gs comfort heating? Only reason I ask is that I live in SE london and a few firms are offer half decent doh for maintainance and service guys.

50k for 50 hours a week is about right imo if you are good at what u do. Plus van, tools, holiday etc etc.

Course cowboys and 6 week plumbers arent worth 10k

Employed heating engineer in the Midlands (eg van uniform etc provided) approx £25000-£30000.
Self employed £40000+

The first job out of my time in 1986, I earned £8.50 an hour as a 715 working subcontract to a builder. Started pricing for jobs (1980s) and earned £200 a day doing lead-work, at that time you could buy a decent house for about 15k. I did a twenty years stint where customers had to wait on average 3months for a heating installation. My average wage during this time was about 25K a year, for a 40 hour week. Of course you never did a 40 hour week in the past, because there was loads of work, it was more like 50-60 hours a week. Hence plumbers could earn more through working longer hours - this explains the 'rich plumber' tag. Those that have it, have worked hard to get it.

From then to present my wages have fallen drastically, along with continuity of employment. Over-heads have crept up in price - cost of vans, insurance and courses for ACS and gas registration. As work diminishes, advertising and marketing creep up.

In addition, the public have lost trust, and now expect me to come out for nothing, or no call out - which is ridiculus. If a job goes wrong, then customers lose trust - in the past they were more reasonable, and expected jobs to cost more - not any more, if its not fixed for what you quote, then there is trouble.

However, its not the drop in wages that worries me as much as the amout of work available.

It has been said already that £10 per hour, would be ok for a 40hour week. If this is the case, then working craft wages have hardly risen in 25 years, given the cost of living has.

I am surprised that we have not heard more stories of plumbing businesses going bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Salary in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock