Search the forum,

Discuss Sale of Business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look - good luck with the sale.

If it was my advert I'd remove the negative points! Let buyers ask about condition first. Many scratches can be removed in a few minutes with WD40 then shampooed off.

Just had a look - good luck with the sale.

If it was my advert I'd remove the negative points! Let buyers ask about condition first. Many scratches can be removed in a few minutes with WD40 then shampooed off.

Cheers but I try to be honest as otherwise they will come and see it and they will walk away.

Still plumbing, just managed to get a job, less money, but less stress too

Wish you all the best in your new job. Do you have many jobs booked in? If so might be worth approaching a rival?

No, thats why I applied for a job, really really quiet.

Nothing booked at all.

Very sad news but unfortunately a true sign of the times.
I wish you the very best of luck in the new job. No more out quoting at night and a fixed wage each month looks more and more tempting to me.

Very sad news but unfortunately a true sign of the times.
I wish you the very best of luck in the new job. No more out quoting at night and a fixed wage each month looks more and more tempting to me.

I'm with you on that one. I have only been sub contracting for a little of a year now, but I am still always on the look out for a direct job. I'm not desperate for one and I am being picky for what I am looking for and will only do it if the right opportunity appears as I am quite happy the way I am, but the thought of someone else paying my fuel bills etc and not having to do a tax return looks more appealing by the day.

I would love to work the way I do now for the rest of my life, but with a mortgage on the horizon in the near future a normal job looks on the cards

I am thinking, with the money, could buy some better tools, newer, i.e.
for when I do friends and families on weekends, i.e.

And pay off some debts, i.e.

About 4 yrs ago, I was offered a "proper" job which I couldn't turn down, especially as things were so quiet. Got laid off after a year then got another job for 5 weeks then was laid off again! If I'd flogged me tools and van I'd have been in the crapper! Would definitely keep the tools at least, as 2nd hand tools go for peanuts no matter what condition they're in

no job is gauranteed now, don't put all your eggs in the one basket as they say.

I am also applying for jobs and trying to get my own jobs, trying to get as much as i can really, I wish I could just get a decent wage again and start enjoying life again as the stress with bills and no work coming in sucks !! plus I would prefer to be going back to the gym at night instead of pricing jobs you don't get and doing paperwork lol, to be able to work for yourself I think you need a receptionist lol.

I've got stacks of work and I'm booked up to November and working every day of the week. I'm peed off with this, the stress, pleasing bampots who think that as they are customers that they are right, the fact that I miss my missus and 2 young kids and have had no social life in months, trying to do work for a decent price while some are way under pricing to get work, the damage to my health and body, doing tax returns, paying merchants accounts and quotes in the dead of night.....the list goes on and on!

Well as from the 26th I'm being employed as a maintenance plumber and bathroom fitter with the council and I can't bloody well wait! Less money, but who cares, set hours, time with my family, paid holidays, no fuel and merchants costs and a lot less stress and time to do the job I enjoy far outweighs what I lose in a weekly wage.

But I'm keeping my van, supplies, tools and business name, not selling it as no one can predict the future.

Best of luck to you mate in your new job.

Thats interesting news as well system, I hope it goes well for you but personally speaking I could never go back to being told what to do by morons as I have in previous jobs.

I know what you means though, I'm fortunate to be very busy as well up to Dec/Jan and the stress of 7 day weeks takes its toll....

Last edited:
I'll be honest with people and tell them of my intentions and give them plenty of time to find alternatives and the work that is scheduled to last a couple of days will be done at weekends if people want me to continue with it but I won't be taking on any more work after this. Anything I can't do due to time constraints and my new job will be cancelled as I've not taken any deposits for these. I will honour any work I'm booked to do until my start date, but I believe that it's best to be 100% honest with people, not pull the wool over their eyes and try to do work that can't be done.

All the best to everyone on the forum who soldiers on with self employment. I'll probably return to it at some point, but I need some serious time out and time with my kids

Its a shame that two of you are going off to work for bigger companies. I can see the future now, and we all work for BG, AA, and probably Tesco if they ever decide to start offering plumbing services. With no small independant plumbers.

Working independantly is exausting, mentally and physically. Very satisfying when its going well, but terrible when its not.

I wish you both the best of luck and hope you return to your roots eventually.

I need some serious time out and time with my kids

Never underestimate this one. They grow up so quick and it is easy to miss out on it and you will never get it back.

I missed out so much on my 2 growing up, which i regret. Sometimes it seemed i was just the guy who tagged along on the holidays.
Even before i was se when they were young, i was up before them and back when they were in bed or i was working away.
Sure i had the flash cars, which i never drove and the big house i was never in but if i had my time again i would do it different.
There is more to life than money.

Good luck with your new job but watch you don't fall into the trap of doing all your other stuff at the weekends. Enjoy your family while they are young.

Its a shame that two of you are going off to work for bigger companies. I can see the future now, and we all work for BG, AA, and probably Tesco if they ever decide to start offering plumbing services.

TESCO do offer plumbing services... very sad but true, there not happy making millions of pounds profit of us all they now want to muscle in on the Tradesmens services and put many more people out of work. The scheme has launched in my local area about 6 months ago... I personally hope it fails badly and they lose alot of money because if its successful there taking it NATIONAL =o

The web address is; Tesco Home Services

TESCO do offer plumbing services... very sad but true, there not happy making millions of pounds profit of us all they now want to muscle in on the Tradesmens services and put many more people out of work. The scheme has launched in my local area about 6 months ago... I personally hope it fails badly and they lose alot of money because if its successful there taking it NATIONAL =o

The web address is; Tesco Home Services

RIP the one man band.

How much money does one firm need?

I understand the worry of Tesco but due to the poor financial state of this country we need companies like them to dig us out of this economical mess.

Remember the advert with John Cleese advertising plumbing and heating services from the AA!
Have a break down and a plumber will fix it. For a small fee he'll fix your engine with his blow torch......

Sorry to rant on your thread jase but TESCO are not an ethical company, they are ruthless. They'll open a supermarket in a town and drop their prices to rock bottom untill all the local bakers, butchers, florists, cornershops etc go out of business and when all the shops are closed and lively hoods wrecked they put their prices back up.

They will happily sell at a loss for as long as it takes to get rid of the competition.

Last edited:
It looks like that they will sub the work out to the local tradesmen, (according to their website)
"When we do, rest assured that we’ll bring the same quality service and guarantee, in partnership with the best local tradespeople in your area."
Which means they will try to get us to work for buttons, which inevitably means that they will end up with the donkeys who are willing to work for peanuts= dodgy workmanship= low customer satisfaction= not a serious threat to the local trade once the word gets out they are crap... On the flip side, if they pay decent enough subby rates then they will get a bit of work, that's my outlook on it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sale of Business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock