Search the forum,

Discuss Santon Premier Plus Unvented Hot Water System - HELP!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GemmaTaylor

I'm looking to buy a house, but it has a Santon Premier Plus Unvented Hot Water System - I'd never even heard of these, and am completely confused as to how they work and whether they are suitable for my lifestyle.

I live with my husband, we each shower every morning (total time ~ 30 minutes) then use hot water for washing up etc in the evening. We use the heating probably slightly less than the average household as it's a well insulated house and there's just 2 of us.

Could anyone help explain:

1) Is this an all-in-one system, or is there a separate boiler somewhere?
2) Is it gas or electric powered?
3) Is it at all economical for a household of just 2 people to use this type of system?
4) How often would we need to heat water, and how long would it stay hot for?
5) Does it work for both hot water and heating?

Sorry for the multitude of daft questions, this is just completely baffling to me! :mad2:

Thanks so much for your help,

Gemma.

I'm looking to buy a house, but it has a Santon Premier Plus Unvented Hot Water System - I'd never even heard of these, and am completely confused as to how they work and whether they are suitable for my lifestyle.

I live with my husband, we each shower every morning (total time ~ 30 minutes) then use hot water for washing up etc in the evening. We use the heating probably slightly less than the average household as it's a well insulated house and there's just 2 of us.

Could anyone help explain:

1) Is this an all-in-one system, or is there a separate boiler somewhere?
2) Is it gas or electric powered?
3) Is it at all economical for a household of just 2 people to use this type of system?
4) How often would we need to heat water, and how long would it stay hot for?
5) Does it work for both hot water and heating?

Sorry for the multitude of daft questions, this is just completely baffling to me! :mad2:

Thanks so much for your help,

Gemma.

Yes will have a system boiler to heat cylinder as long as it's not a direct cylinder ( ie immersion heaters)
Unvented cylinders will give you great showers as long as incoming mains is good
Cylinder will keep hot water hot for a good while general heat loss will be in a range of 1 to 3 kw per 24hr
Depends on size of cylinder how often you will need to re heat water
If you can get a pic could give you more info
Its Just for hot water only
IMHO I would rather have a unvented cylinder with system boiler than a combi anyway

I'm puzzled if you don't know if you've a boiler or not. It's not exactly a small piece of equipment you can hide easily!!!!

Hopefully answer above is all you need to know (and sorry for my cheek!)

It's a house we're looking to buy, not one we're currently living in! We didn't see a separate boiler anywhere, although we didn't see the garage on this first viewing. I'd never seen one of these systems before, so assumed due to the size that it was an all-in-one system.

I'll sit back in the corner again!

If you're interested in the house you might consider asking when the cylinder was last looked at. (In theory they require an annual check). If there is a boiler these should be serviced annually (more important with gas) and if gas it should have a Gas safe certificate (I think!) and if oil it's best if carried out by an OFTEC technician.

Some solicitors are quite forceful with these details, as well as if there is the correct paperwork for the installation. Oil and gas tanks should also have the correct paperwork to show they've been installed to the then current building regulations.

Hope the house purchase goes smoothly, if you do move!

Answering your questions. There will more than likely be a boiler somewhere. It may be built into a unit of the fitted kitchen, in a cupboard, garage or even the attic.
For 2 people it would probably not be the most economical of systems, but has it's benefits. If you have pumped showers (fed from the unvented cylinder) or a bath you will have a good, constant flow of piping hot water. The downside is you would need to make sure the hot water has been on first.
To provide your hot water you will need to have the water heated at least twice a day before your peak usage. ie. before you rise in morning and before you return in evening.

As mentioned above, the important thing is to make sure the boiler/cylinder has been fully checked/serviced and all is in order. If there is a decent boiler paired to the cylinder, it should not cost too much more to run through the year than a standard combi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Santon Premier Plus Unvented Hot Water System - HELP!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock