Discuss Sciencey odd question just occured in my daily musings... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm still a bit confused but I think the answer is too many other factors would get in the way of the experiment.

I suppose what I want to imagine is say you are on this magical world for this experiment - you have this level stretch of 1000 miles of pipe, which is not effected by friction, is neither subject to the effects of gravity nor the effects of no gravity, where the only thing being tested, somehow - magically - is whether the mass of this water itself can hold back pressure when applied.

So this pipe would be full of water but not pressurised. Just at the pressure it normally would be at. At the far end is a tap which will be opened shortly. Then, 1000 miles back the other away is a valve which is closed. On the other side of the valve is more pipe, containing water which is pressurised to 1.5 bar. If you open the valve the pressurised water comes into contact with the non-pressurised water, sitting there for it's 1000 mile stretch - if you then open the tap 1000 miles away does water come out or not?

no, the weight of water would be too much for 1.5 bar to overcome it

not answerd yet dont forget if a pipe is a 1000 miles long layin on a planet, the natural curvature of the planet will allow air in when you open the pipe allowing the water to pour out

arrrhhhhh

ok, lets also pretend the earth is flat

no, the weight of water would be too much for 1.5 bar to overcome it

Soooo.....what we want to know is, how long would a piece of 15mm copper full of water need to be when subjected to 1.5 bar before water couldn't come out of the other end but ONLY because the weight of the water in said pipe would be too great for it to be pushed out by available pressure?

I've done the calculations and its 643.274653 miles. No need to check, 100% accurate, absolutely.

I'm sorry guys but water would boil in space, thats what happens to you in space the water inside yer body boils !

ohh and did you know that at the deepest part of the ocean the mariana trench(6.85miles) the pressure is over 8 tons per square inch ?? lol

Only just read this gem of a thread - physics, maths and astonomy - my all time favourite subjects, appart from a few not taught in my catholic school!

In deep space the temperature is just 3 degrees warmer than absolute 0 so approx -270 C
So the water will definitely freeze.
Not sure what happens to copper or plastic at these temperatures.

As said earlier if there were no forces such as gravity or friction then ANY body set in motion will continue to move in a staight line at a constant speed, as in a vacuum or deep space.
In side the theoretical frictionless pipe the water release at mains pressure will continue to move at the same speed BUT i think you question is that this water then meets an obstacle which is the still water sitting in the pipe.
So you need enough pressure to move the still water. Sorry if i am repeating what was said..

I'm not sure the moon will have any effect on the water in the miles of pipe. Because I think the moon - tide thing is to do with a big body of water like a giant swimming pool. Along this theoretical pipe there is always a small amount of water in any one place.

While you were writing I was checking my facts!
of course I forgot that water boilers at lower temperature when pressure drops.
I don't know what the pressure is in deep space?

But I was thinking of comets and rocks like pluto being largely frozen ice. But of course they have mass and pressumably higher pressure than deep space. Makes you think...

[DLMURL="http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2009/06/water_in_space_what_happens.php"]Water in Space: What Happens? : Starts With A Bang[/DLMURL]

interesting page

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry correction, it boils faster than freezing so in effect it is freezing but turning into a gas at the same time lol mad

do you have 25 mile of copper on the van?

diamondgas wants to do it in speedfit, but i think thats cheating, in fact ive decided hes a big wuss now and i o longer consider him a real plumber, psss, dont tell him

how about doing it in iron? ive got some hand dies

I have'n got a finger big enough for iron fuzzy and i am a wuss .... :) Part time plumber full time gas engineer :rofl: Haven't got a clue when in comes to anything waste related and have never fancied messing with toilets, baths and the like... leave that to the proffesionals lol ...

Soooo.....what we want to know is, how long would a piece of 15mm copper full of water need to be when subjected to 1.5 bar before water couldn't come out of the other end but ONLY because the weight of the water in said pipe would be too great for it to be pushed out by available pressure?

I've done the calculations and its 643.274653 miles. No need to check, 100% accurate, absolutely.

so your saying we are good for the first 642 miles?

I have'n got a finger big enough for iron fuzzy and i am a wuss .... :) Part time plumber full time gas engineer :rofl: Haven't got a clue when in comes to anything waste related and have never fancied messing with toilets, baths and the like... leave that to the proffesionals lol ...

its all very clear now, so how far would gas travel if subjected to a force of 1.5bar in a 15mm copper tube?

its all very clear now, so how far would gas travel if subjected to a force of 1.5bar in a 15mm copper tube?

Up hill, down or on the level? I'd be gettn' the meter gov checked if I was getting that sort of presure ... imagine the cooker flame!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sciencey odd question just occured in my daily musings... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back