Discuss Seeking instructions/advice for an unused 30+ year old Myson "Heat Generator" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

n1ck3l50n

I'm completely new to the forum so I apologize in advance if i'm in the wrong area.

Today I acquired what is best described as a "Hot Water Generator" by Myson. It has never been installed, the previous owner had it for 10 years but never installed it (It just sat in the garage). The issue we have is that it has no manual or installation instructions. We got it back and opened it up to find a check list dated 12/07/1982!

Connecting everything should be simple, I'm not a plumber but the guy that has acquired it has plumbing knowledge. The issue is the age and the fact that there are no controls on it so we really have nothing to go by.

If anyone has seen one of these and has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

Attached are some pictures:

image (1).jpgimage (2).jpgimage.jpg

How about contacting Myson as a start. I'm sure they would be interested.

in putting it in their museum:) and if that fails sell it to your local scrappie!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about contacting Myson as a start. I'm sure they would be interested.

Already tried that, they said that they no longer have anything to do with it and that certain products are supported by a third party company. They gave us a phone number. After ringing it they asked us to send some pictures so they could try to work out what it was! We've not heard anything yet.

hehe I agree it's probably a museum piece but we're just curious about it!

You're local scrappie will charge you for it as it's full of R502 and he'll have to get it decommissioned first :)

It is an early Heat Recovery / Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) - did they have a swimming pool? These were sometimes used for them iirc.

As it mentions in the final assembly
Vacuum
Charge
Leak Test

These are standard procedures in ASHP's
The charge gas is R502 - that is commonly used in OLD ASHP's - it is no longer used - phased out in 1995 and MUST be disposed of in accordance with the regulations - not allowed to discharge to the air - can go to jail for that.

Being that age it would need a major overhaul and service before even attempting to fire it up, and would cost more to do that than to buy a modern equivalent. - What were you hoping to use it for - are you on mains gas?

Plumbers are not allowed to install or configure these - you'll need someone like ourselves certified as plumbers and refrigeration engineers (f-gas) to be compliant.

If you're not too far we would happily come and collect it and dispose of it properly for you.

Last edited:
Looked like an external oil boiler in background of one of the pics.

The guy we got it from bought it to use to heat a swimming pool but had it in storage for over 10 years! We got it for free so can't really complain. When we removed one side we found 2 gauges to indicate psi of something. One was right up but the other was on zero....

Looked like an external oil boiler in background of one of the pics.

See, !'m not an oily, (we just decommission them) didn't notice that :)

You're local scrappie will charge you for it as it's full of R502 and he'll have to get it decommissioned first :)

It is an early Heat Recovery / Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) - did they have a swimming pool? These were sometimes used for them iirc.

As it mentions in the final assembly
Vacuum
Charge
Leak Test

These are standard procedures in ASHP's
The charge gas is R502 - that is commonly used in OLD ASHP's - it is no longer used - phased out in 1995 and MUST be disposed of in accordance with the regulations - not allowed to discharge to the air - can go to jail for that.

Being that age it would need a major overhaul and service before even attempting to fire it up, and would cost more to do that than to buy a modern equivalent. - What were you hoping to use it for - are you on mains gas?

Plumbers are not allowed to install or configure these - you'll need someone like ourselves certified as plumbers and refrigeration engineers (f-gas) to be compliant.

If you're not too far we would happily come and collect it and dispose of it properly for you.

the guy who's acquired it also has a pool that is heated but it's pretty big and takes a while. I think that's why he was interested in it. They have gas but it's not mains (from bottles)....I'm no expert so excuse inaccurate terminology :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seeking instructions/advice for an unused 30+ year old Myson "Heat Generator" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock