Search the forum,

Discuss seized stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tizak

Hi All, The main stopcock in the house has seized. I've tried turning it but it wont move much. I tried to loosen the gland nut but that just turned with the tap head. There is a small leak around the gland nut so I think I must have disturbed something. I tightened the gland nut but the leak is still there. I'm reluctant to try and turn the nut again as it is fairly stiff and I don't want to cause further damage (knowing my luck it'll snap off:biggrin5:). The pipe coming into the house is lead below the stopcock but is copper above the stopcock. Do you think it would be best to get the stopcock changed altogether? I'm trying to get a plumber to come and have a look but no luck so far, so am hoping the leak doesn't get any worse. Any advice appreciated. P>S have tried WD40 and penetrating oil but still no joy

If your doing yourself, turn off in the road and fit new stopcock above old.
Or get a plumber to fit you a new stopcock.

If you break the lead pipe, will be expensive to replace

if the spindle turns with the gland nut its only that thats siezed, open it as far as you can .wd and a bit of heat or a sharp tap with a chisel should free the nut on the shaft then repack gland tighten till it stops

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, I think I've only got the heat thing to try so I will have a go at that and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to seized stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock