Search the forum,

Discuss Seized up pumps =[ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hello guys and girls...

When taking out boilers / old systems etc i often keep the existing circulating pump in my shed if they look quite new for breakdowns or just test pumps!!

I have accumulated about 5 Grundfos 15.50 and or 15.60 pumps, they are dated from 1998 to 2008, when i today went to test them however they are all seized stiff via one!!! ( the oldest one still works ?? )

Just wondering if theres a way to salvage them? The propeller turns with a little resistance, too much for the motor to spin... they keep jamming?

Hope you guys have some ideas, otherwise i will just bin them off =[

They get a bit rusty I'd imagine sitting doin' nowt! Can you separate the spindle from around the winding shaft. That's the most likely place for the rust/caked on crud to set in and harden! Maybe clean up with steal wool or something! Just a thought!

Cheers for that Diamond Gas,

I dismantled the shaft type bit, cleaned it with brake cleaner and sprayed some wd.40 on the components... I got all four of em working a treat =]... they actually run and sound as good as a new pump!!!

Hope this helps some other fokes out there too... I reckon i cud get a seized pump up and running with this method... :)

Cheers for that Diamond Gas,

I dismantled the shaft type bit, cleaned it with brake cleaner and sprayed some wd.40 on the components... I got all four of em working a treat =]... they actually run and sound as good as a new pump!!!

Hope this helps some other fokes out there too... I reckon i cud get a seized pump up and running with this method... :)

That is the method I use to get a seized pump running!! I use a bit of silicon grease rather than WD though.

i used to buy ten pumps athe end of august as most people used the immersion in summer and then the pump wouldnt kick in come winter doesnt happen any more

i used to use soap powder to clean a seized pump shaft, it only takes a tiny amount and never failed to get the pump going again and some lasted ages before giving up the ghost or jamming through more sludge building up

Soap powed - as in what goes in a washing machine? That works well does it? Good tip that Kirk. I'll try it next time.

Yeah, and inhibitor. Look at the insides of a pump housing that's been well protected in comparison to one where there has been no inhibitor. Not saying it's a new thing, but with the advent of the internet....people understand the value of treating the water in their systems.

in my way there is more conventional system then combis ! where about are you in london steve ?

More affluent areas (bigger houses) tend to have conventional boilers...so in some areas I cover it's all combi's in other areas like Tunbridge Wells, there are a lot more system and conventional boilers.

I always save spare pumps - they are induction driven so unless they get seized they last indefinitely. Its especially useful keeping obsolete versions as you can get the customer going again quickly in an emergency just by changing the head. I only charge a nominal sum for 2nd hand ones and customers have always been happy,

I charge them half price and give a 3 month guarantee. Never had a call back or complaint.

I charge them half price and give a 3 month guarantee. Never had a call back or complaint.

Trouble is you end up with a load of rusty pumps in your shed, and not in your van where you need them. I always have a 15-50 (New) on board.

Soap powed - as in what goes in a washing machine? That works well does it? Good tip that Kirk. I'll try it next time.

yes just ordinary soap powder, whatever make the custard has!!!!!!!!!, dab some on a wet cloth and it removes the crud no bother atall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seized up pumps =[ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock