Discuss Self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im actually registering for VAT voluntarily because I see it as inevetable at least registering now allows me to reclaim almost £4000 of vat ive spent on van and tools. Claiming back a hunderd pound or so every month on petrol is another bonus. The biggest downside to VAT as far as I can see is the accounting side or at least the cost of having it done by someone else

Once you register you can claim back VAT from the previous 12 months as well. Registering from the start could be slightly detrimental as you instantly become 20% more expensive on your labour charge. Also almost every customer instantly wants to pay cash to avoid the VAT.

Once you register you can claim back VAT from the previous 12 months as well. Registering from the start could be slightly detrimental as you instantly become 20% more expensive on your labour charge. Also almost every customer instantly wants to pay cash to avoid the VAT.

I agree with this. It's tempting to take cash but if you do I would recommend that you put some if not all through your bank. Mr HMRC is very aware that the plumbing industry can be cash in hand If you can demonstrate that you put cash through the account, you are covered in the event of an inspection. On that subject, if HMRC decides to inspect a self employed person or business, it's the person or business that has to pay for the insect ion even if you are cleared of owing any taxes. I was inspected 18 years ago as the result of a spiteful customer who lost county court claim falsely reporting accounting irregularities to the revenue involving VAT and business taxes. The revenue descended on my house on a Sunday and removed my computers and trading accounts. 3 months and many meetings later I was clear d of all wrong doing and presented with a bill for £8000. Fortunately we had taken out insurance to cover this with our accountants. The insurers then proceeded to recover their costs from the revenue and the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am a homeowner and have a Valliant EcoTech 835 (2017). Serviced every year and worked like a treat until about a few months ago when I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock