Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell from Bathroom, no loo blockage though! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet.

Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the smell is still there.

Also cleaned out the bathtub/sink PVC pipes, checked under the bathtub and even fan extractor in case of a dead rat or bird and nothing. Also cleaned the outside drains which were clean anyhow.

Also used 2 litres of Mr Muscle unblocker gel on the sink and toilet ( not toilet since not designed for it)

Toilet flushes perfectly fine and the tissues etc go down perfectly fine. Neighbors have had no issues with sewage smell either.

Any idea on this Sewage mystery?

Is the back of the toilet pan connected to the drain via a flexible (concertina style) coupling by any chance?

If not, how is the drain vented? (e.g. Durgo / air-admittance valve, open pipe at roof-level)

Is the back of the toilet pan connected to the drain via a flexible (concertina style) coupling by any chance?

If not, how is the drain vented? (e.g. Durgo / air-admittance valve, open pipe at roof-level)

Hi thanks for helping, I am not sure it looks like a plastic flexi tube then connected to a more solid grey plastic part.

Here is a picture:
tp.jpg

Hi thanks for helping, I am not sure it looks like a plastic flexi tube then connected to a more solid grey plastic part.
Assuming things were okay when originally installed and the smell arrived a period of months/years later that flexible connector is the thing I'd suspect. As the plastic ages they become brittle and split. The photo makes it look as though the floor in that area is wet but sometimes the split is on the top so you can get the smells without water leaking out.

In my opinion, flexible connectors are to be avoided if possible. If a rigid connection is impossible, use high quality branded flexi, e.g. McAlpine, and buy it from a proper plumber's merchant so you are sure you are getting the real thing and not a foreign knock-off.

Sewer gas is nasty stuff and you need to get it fixed properly. If you are not sure what you are doing, get a professional to help. Find someone who has the kit to pressure / smoke test the drain and do a camera survey if necessary.

From the pic:
  • flexible connector to a rubber connector ?
  • and then there's the silicon mountain on the tiles obviously sealing a pvc connector to something in the wall.

time to remove everything and start again with proper connections

Assuming things were okay when originally installed and the smell arrived a period of months/years later that flexible connector is the thing I'd suspect. As the plastic ages they become brittle and split. The photo makes it look as though the floor in that area is wet but sometimes the split is on the top so you can get the smells without water leaking out.

In my opinion, flexible connectors are to be avoided if possible. If a rigid connection is impossible, use high quality branded flexi, e.g. McAlpine, and buy it from a proper plumber's merchant so you are sure you are getting the real thing and not a foreign knock-off.

Sewer gas is nasty stuff and you need to get it fixed properly. If you are not sure what you are doing, get a professional to help. Find someone who has the kit to pressure / smoke test the drain and do a camera survey if necessary.

Thanks, the area is wet since I attempted to fast splash a few buckets of warm soapy water down the toilet but I did notice water spilling out from behind where that flexi connector is.

It does not leak when a normal flush though, more when a bucket is forced down it.

Bathroom was done by a plumber 7-8 years ago, only now is an issue with sewer gas smell last few weeks.

I was considering using dynorod camera survey to see if they can sort the issue but will look into
a McApline flexi, not ever done a toilet install myself but have done some basic plumbing like taps and push fits but will check some YT videos, thanks again.

Ok I was cleaning the back of the loo and all that silicon/putty mess and I got a whiff of that sewage gas, I have taken a picture of the back and noticed a tear in the flexi pipe is this confirmation this could be the issue?

20231108_150750.jpg

thanks to all and especially @Chuck

Is there a way to figure out what exact replacement flexible connector size I need?

There seems to be many sizes but seen this one here

Reply to Sewage smell from Bathroom, no loo blockage though! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock