Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell in apartment, possibly bodged plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maximus_

Hi folks, hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on this little saga me and teh other half are having in the new [rented] apartment. There is seemingly 3 problems, although im not sure how or if they are related (i have turned my hand to many things, but plumbing have never been one)

#1. gurgling sound when emptying bath or full sink, or when washing machine drains (into u-bend under the sink)

#2. Sewage smell coming strongly into kitchen & bathroom. (this happens when the gurgling does, but also happens when running any water (most of the time) and soemtimes it just randomly happens even when no water is running)

#3. the washing machine drain water backs up into the sink (u-bend is clear)

This is in a second floor apartment, in an large old victorian converted mid terrace [3 flats, basement, ground and ours, the top floor and attic rooms], I tried to visual inspect all the pipes, but they go straight under teh floor from the kitchen sink, and appear to run through all the way through, to the back of the building (about 40ft id guess) and go out the back wall... and straight into the sewage/vent pipe.

Here is a pic to demo the layout of the building, but I forgot to note on it that the bathroom, is lower than the rest of the floors, by about 2ft. (which reminds me of another curiosity with this place, the immersion heater, is fitted on the floor in hte cupboard in the bathroom, so it is WAY lower than the rest of the apt, which i assume is to blame for the measily water pressure in here)

i.*********/KWXVaSs.png <-- diagram pic' link, I can't seem to embed it]

***the little purple lines by hte sewer pipe, are two, 2 inch pipes that I assume drain the bath and two sinks, into the waste/sewer pipe.

Now, as a lay person, running those pipes into the sewer pipe is not a good idea?

And from what I have gathered from every other place I look at, it should have its own drain pipe that feeds it to a gutter drain somewhere?

I'm going to be seeing teh landlord myself tomorrow hopefully, upto now he has only talked to the lady person of the house, and he fobbed her off telling her, our washing machine drains too fast, and "the odd sewer smell is normal" but he will "do us a favour" and send his [useless bar stool of a] "handyman" to take a look.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, and anything I can add to help just ask.

regards, Bob.

You either have a venting problem or a sewer blockage. Both will cause gurgling sounds or a back-up of discharge.
Or worst case you have major drainage issues.
Being a combined building with drainage servicing multiple dwellings, find out from other people if this is a common occurance with them. If so you have major Plumbing problems.
The sewer smells are probably due to trap syphonage which can be caused from a sewer blockage down the line or a venting issue.
Good luck sorting that out...could be a real can of worms.

Oz-Plumber

Thanks for the reply oz', unfortunately, the two downstairs flats are empty.

Would I be right in thinking if I diverted the two 2 inch pipes for the bath and sinks away from the sewer pipe on the outside back wall, and into a run of new drainpipe down to the grid, that will stop the smell coming in at least?

Could be a number of things but most likely, as has been said by Oz, a vent/siphonage issue.

I'd be very surprised if the terms of your lease allow you to make alterations to the properties plumbing. Get your landlord to get a qualified plumber in; no disrespect meant to you.

well me putting a drain pipe up myself is my plan B (and if it comes to it, tennancy be damned), the landlord seems to be a bit of a stingey sod, he gets his properties painted by £20 a day trainee kids on a course. Upto now, the missus hasnt been able to convince him these things are a problem, I don't fancy my chances of him shelling out for a pro. His "handyman" is a proper chocolate teapot, his suggested solution to a few missing pieces of trim round the double glazing[the bit that holds the actual glass in] was to fill it with silicone (apparently that would have looked just as nice as proper trim)

I was hoping you guys would tell me those sink drain pipes should not be running straight into the sewer pipe, so I could at least tell him that was definitely wrong, and to just sort that for now and see how it goes :/

edit: btw; no offence taken. and yes, we are regretting taking this place already... new house in a couple of months hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you think the sink drain pipes should run?

Are there traps underneath the fixtures?
If not, then you will always get sewer smells into the property - if there are traps make sure there is water in the bottom of them to block the sewer smells.

From what I can see on almost all other properties, nothing except the toilets go into the soil pipe, all the other pipes are routed down drain pipes to the grid where the gutter/rain water goes.

There is such a grid/drain down on the ground directly next to the soil pipe.

From a laymans POV, it seems sensible to seperate sewage gas and possible backing up in the event of a blockage, from the relatively clean waste that the bath produces.

Is there a reason why some baths /sinks drain into the sewer pipe and others run directly to a grid?

edit: just to update, the landlord came yesterday, he witnessed the gurgling and the smell. He tried to play it down saying it isn't bad and the heat is making it worse than it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with running into a soil pipe. Anti siphon traps my be your answer but there are many factors.

Your landlord has an obligation to provide you with a habitual environment. If he's not doing that then spend your time chasing him.

Well it looks like we're in a bit of a jam then. As it stands now, we're waiting for his handyman guy to "come and take a look" and see if he can stop the smell, which I don't hold out much hope for.

If all goes to plan with this new house were looking at, we will be out of here in 6 weeks. But I would love to spend that time not smelling **** in the living room.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

refer the landlord to his rental agreement and whether you will pay for next 6 weeks if stench is bad, not very pc but might work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sewage smell in apartment, possibly bodged plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs above but there is no sign of leakage on the ceiling. The main drain run from the manhole at the back runs under the kitchen, which has a solid floor...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock