Search the forum,

Discuss Shock arrestor on cold water pressurising hot water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new here. Spark, not a plumber.

I have a question about something at my house that's puzzling me.

Combi boiler system in a terraced house. I've had water hammer/water shock whenever something is turned off quickly, mainly the washer. I fitted a PRV just after the stopcock and reduced the incoming pressure to around 2 bars which stopped the problem but the shower (mixer shower running from the boiler) was terrible at this pressure so upped it 3 bar. Hammer/shock returns but not as bad.

Bought a shock arrestor (Altechnic diaphragm type) and fitted it just before the washer. Happy days it's cured the hammer when the washer/toilet valves shut off. Problem is when a cold water valve or tap is opened anywhere in the house there's hammer/shock coming from the hot tap side now this is when something is opened on the cold side, not shut off. Puzzled me how this is possible? Is the shock arrestor pressurising the hot water by back feeding through the boiler!?

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

For info the incoming pressure is 3.5 bars. It's been reduced to 3 bars now by the PRV valve. The arrestor is pre-charged at 3.5 bars.

When you say hammer is this an on going banging or just one thump when you open something

Arrestor needs to be fitted before boiler / cold feed to the boiler should sort you out

Update: Removed the shock arrestor from the washing machine pipe and fitted it to the cold water feed to the boiler. This stopped the symptoms mentioned in the original post but started the Thud/shock when the washer/toilet was shutting off again.

I've completely removed the shock arrestor as it seemed to be causing more issues than it was solving. I've turned the washer and toilet isolators to half way and this has solved the issue of the hammer/thud/shock in the pipes.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shock arrestor on cold water pressurising hot water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 9 months now, started suffering intermittent but frequent hydraulic shock thwacks, sometimes very violent, below Harvey's water softener in mains cold copper pipe. So far, water tank ballcock replaced, kitchen mixer tap replaced, Harvey's serviced the water softener, approx. 5 years old...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow water shut off. Worked for a bit, but hammer returned. This morning, while the toilet was refilling and the shower was on, there was a loud thud that...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock