Discuss sleeving pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been thinking, all pipework should be sleeved when passing through a wall.
I always sleeve gas, hot and cold, even discharge pipework from boilers and d cylinders.
Why don't we sleeve waste pipes or condese pipes through external walls? Especially on timber-framed dwellings which will shrink when they dry out?:dizzy2:

Id love to see the beast you'd sleeve soil pipe with.

In fairness it would make live a lot easier for anyone making alterations later on

Haha, I hadn't even considered soil pipe. Been taking condense out in 1 1/4" through a timber frame house today and realised no-one ever sleeves waste pipe. The timber frame will shrink, hense the need to run css for gas so if it could fracture a gas pipe it will fracture a waste pipe. Unless maybe allow a bigger hole through the tinber frame side, dont think the brick side will shrink??

Been thinking, all pipework should be sleeved when passing through a wall.
I always sleeve gas, hot and cold, even discharge pipework from boilers and d cylinders.
Why don't we sleeve waste pipes or condese pipes through external walls? Especially on timber-framed dwellings which will shrink when they dry out?:dizzy2:

I'm with you Gasmanrob, it would be a lot easier for alterations etc
But, if the timber that the hole is drill through shrinks, wouldn't the hole then be bigger?

Why don't we sleeve waste pipes or condese pipes through external walls?

There are substances in cement or mortar which are potentially aggressive to copper, hence sleeving. There’s no need to protect ABS or PVC pipe.

Ironic how we sleeve the copper pipe which will corrode when in contact with the mortar with another copper pipe!

I'm with you Gasmanrob, it would be a lot easier for alterations etc
But, if the timber that the hole is drill through shrinks, wouldn't the hole then be bigger?

Interesting but if the hole grew bigger why do the gas regs insist on using csst on timber framed dwellings? (due to it being flexible).

Possibly because the timber frame will expand and contract at a different rate to the outer skin which over time could cause movement and damage the pipe.

Plus timber frames usually have a brick outer skin and thus will have the usual issue of cement corroding the copper.

Possibly because the timber frame will expand and contract at a different rate to the outer skin which over time could cause movement and damage the pipe.

Plus timber frames usually have a brick outer skin and thus will have the usual issue of cement corroding the copper.

Exactly, so the same could happen to the plastic waste pipe.

I agree; it could. However, I'd say it's less likely as the waste will usually have a bit more give and the consequences of a leaky waste are obviously not in the same league as gas. The plastic would also be less susceptible to damage from falling debris within the cavity.

At least cement doesn't corrode plastic.

more cost and normally not needed unless your doing commercial then its common pratice as well as fire collars

I think the By laws actually were intended to ensure that a metered service was not discharging into a void or cavity. The sleeve provides visual warning of the "leak" on the face of the wall or cavity.

Don't think effluent was classified as metered service ... But u could sleeve 4 with 5 or 6

What you guys using to sleeve your gas these days ?

Use to use that falcon the white plastic that came in meter lengths but apparently they don't make it anymore .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sleeving pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock