Search the forum,

Discuss Slight noise/growl/vibration from taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alankearn

When you turn a tap on this slight sound/vibration only happens a at a certain flow rate and immediately disappears if you slightly increase or decrease the flow of water via the tap . There is a flip tap in the bathroom and if you flip it to full flow it bypasses the vibration/sound and runs normal.
This sound also appears after a few minutes using a shower that is powered from a motor in the loft.The noise in the shower continues for about 10/15 seconds after the shower has been turned off.
If you run one tap turned to the the point where the vibration is there and then turn on another tap the vibration sound disappears.
Although I don't think it is connected this sound appeared after a plumber fitted a new valve in the cistern of a toilet he may have used a isolator valve in the pipe that is about 6 inches from the cistern to cut off the water while doing the replacement. When doing this job for some reason he went into the loft where there are a 2 water tanks with ball stop cocks one is about 15x12x10 inches the other tank is about 36x24 inches and 24 inches deep. There is a occasional drip from the ball stopcock in the large water tank
I have increased/decreased the water supply via the outside stopcock but that made no difference

I would be grateful to hear of any reasons why this vibration/sound is happening and of ways to get rid of it.

Thanks

Use the search box at the top right of this page this site to search for 'water hammer'. There are a several causes and the remedy differs in each case.

From your description I'd check for pipes that are not properly clipped at the correct intervals first.

All the pipes are fastened solid with no movement.
A next door neighbor said that the because the stop ball cock in the large water tank in the loft has a slight drip drip leak it may be the problem but I thought this tank just supplied the hot water cylinder and there is no feed back from this tank to the cold water supply where the problem lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Slight noise/growl/vibration from taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in the picture. Not sure what the thing is to the right of the stopcock? I’ve also taken the inners out of the outside tap and turned on the water again...
Replies
Views
Could someone tell me what this is, please? (coming from a Joule Cyclone unvented cylinder) It was making a distinct knocking, vibrating, rattling sound, I turned it slightly clockwise, and the noise stopped instantly. The system is 2.5 years old. is there something I need to do to prevent...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock