Search the forum,

Discuss Slow water from upstairs taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all...new member here, hoping someone can help!

I have slow running water from my upstairs taps.

The house is a 1980s build with a cold water tank in the loft.

I have had this problem several times and am able to cure it by connecting a hose to the tap and sending mains pressure back up into the tank. This cures it for about 1 month then it will start to slow down and eventually completely stop.

I have completely drained and cleaned the tank...there is not a scrap of debris in there at all...I have back filled the tank from the tap in an effort to clear any debris in the pipes but nothing comes out in the tank.

I have refilled the tank and got the air out and can get all the taps working great...but as I say, this will only last a month before it goes again.

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome. Thanks...Bill.

Bad pipework can invite airlocks, I'd be looking at your pipework to see if there are any peaks where air can build up, pipework should only run uphill to an outlet.
If you have any pipework that runs uphill, then downhill then that's probably where the airlock is able to form.

Thanks will have a look, but it has only recently started doing it and we have had no new work done....been fine for 10 years up until now.
As JC said. Follow the good pipe rule and all will be well. Normally.
Pipes are ok to fall and rise but not to rise and fall.
Another reason flow becomes restricted over time on a system like yours could be dezincification of any brass fittings. That would be a gradually worsening thing though and unlikely to be cleared in the way you described.

Strip the taps down and clean them. If washered, reseat the taps with a reseating tool, renew the washers and better still buy a tap revival kit and renew the innards. If it's a cartridge then either clean it or replace it. Thoroughly clean everything and apply some WRAS approved silicone grease to moving parts.

Reply to Slow water from upstairs taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, My gravity fed hot water slows to nothing over 30 seconds. when tap turned off for 5 mins, tap will run again for 30 seconds etc. I have tried the mixer tap/air lock trick about 10 times now and still not fixing. I have drained the HW tank a little so I can inspect the 22mm out pipe at...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock