Search the forum,

Discuss Small vans?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, do many of you guys drive a small van rather than a medium sized panel van? If so, what is the work you do? I.e installs, maintenance or servicing??

I do installs out of a Renault kangoo. Bleeding nightmare mate don't do it.

Caddy here, dont think I would have anything else.
It HAS to be kept tidy, otherwise it is a bloody nightmere

I have an 11 plate berlingo , I have found out that a good garage is the key so my success'!! the toolox and soldering box stays in the van , a Stanley organiser with a mix of fitting, a screw box , some clips . step ladder, pipe bender and 240v sds and impact driver and henry . I take everything else out when I don't need them and keep in garage, waste fitings etc, I try to do small jobs only and as I have a full time job and a company van I only use it in the evenings and weekends. so I organise my work good, and take everything I need only , I find I have saved a lot on fuel getting 46.8mpg out of it on rural roads mainly. don't know if it would work if self employed. probably would if you got use to it , + you find out if you have not got something BEFORE you get to the job!! I keep a fluidmaster cistern fill valve and flush valve at home for an example, I got called out to a job last weekend, push button broke, I told them quickest and simplest option is to replace the whole valve, the valves are £12 at screwfix, I got £75 for doing job and had everything on the van and did job there and then!!

I have the old lwb connect and do installs repairs and service but mainly heating NO bathrooms unless small repairs. The connect is more than big enough for everything and I don't use a roof rack so it holds my ladders and pipe.

I have a berlingo. Do oil installs, servicing and breakdowns. Also bathrooms. Works just fine. Majority of bulky items delivered direct.

As I only started on my own in May I didn't want to spend money if I didn't have to, so because I had a Astravan already I have been using that but it is way to small and am getting lwb trafic just can't manage in a small van personally, my work is generally installs and bathrooms

I've worked out of small vans in most of my jobs. I found installs fairly easy if you keep on top of it and have stuff delivered. When I've done small jobs I found they fill up too quickly. And trying to arrange deliveries for an hour slot for large radiators was an absolute nightmare.

I work out of an old expert and it's not a bad size. Could do with it being a little bigger but can manage, it's just sooooooo bloody slow!

I used to have a vauxhall combo, it was alright for a year but it was almost always packed to the brim and everything would have to come out to get to something,
I've got the swb\mwb traffic now and it's much better I've got everything racked out but I don't really carry asmuch of the stock that I'd like too

ive gone from 350 transit lwbhiroof to a fiat doblo to a vivaro the doblo was a joy to drive and run but to small transit was a pain to park

I have Nissan nv200 it's packed with Milwaukee everything. It's ok but it feels like it only cost £5 to build

Partly because it did... Popular vans though, probably not the only one where the contents is worth more then the vehicle

MWB Renault Master, quite a big van , I do anything from full heating to bathrooms n kitchens so handy for sheets of wet wall or plasterboard, here's my 2 vans , the dark one is a SWB and the silver one is my latest MWB ,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 36
MWB Renault Master, quite a big van , I do anything from full heating to bathrooms n kitchens so handy for sheets of wet wall or plasterboard, here's my 2 vans , the dark one is a SWB and the silver one is my latest MWB ,

Aye but your in the back of beyond, so if you forgot something it's a nightmare[emoji6]

Just as we're talking about small vans, a painter turned up today having invented his own roof box, it's been tested and approved currently having some changes made to it, investors in place etc so will be launching in the not to distant future.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can carry 8x4 sheets 3 meter lengths and 3x2 without needing to tie down plus having a normal roof rack on top. Likely to cost £600 ish what do you all think? I think it's a bloody good idea

Just as we're talking about small vans, a painter turned up today having invented his own roof box, it's been tested and approved currently having some changes made to it, investors in place etc so will be launching in the not to distant future.

View attachment 22190

View attachment 22191

Can carry 8x4 sheets 3 meter lengths and 3x2 without needing to tie down plus having a normal roof rack on top. Likely to cost £600 ish what do you all think? I think it's a bloody good idea
I wonder if it's made out of a light weight material? People won't buy it if it brings the fuel consumption down considerably.

I wonder if it's made out of a light weight material? People won't buy it if it brings the fuel consumption down considerably.

It's a one man lift to fit it. And it's currently being made more aerodynamic

Aye but your in the back of beyond, so if you forgot something it's a nightmare[emoji6]

Were in a rural town with 14,000 population and around 6 smaller towns within a 6 mile radius , we have only a travis Perkins in Buckie where I stay but I do try carry most stuff,

I have an 11 plate berlingo , I have found out that a good garage is the key so my success'!! the toolox and soldering box stays in the van , a Stanley organiser with a mix of fitting, a screw box , some clips . step ladder, pipe bender and 240v sds and impact driver and henry . I take everything else out when I don't need them and keep in garage, waste fitings etc, I try to do small jobs only and as I have a full time job and a company van I only use it in the evenings and weekends. so I organise my work good, and take everything I need only , I find I have saved a lot on fuel getting 46.8mpg out of it on rural roads mainly. don't know if it would work if self employed. probably would if you got use to it , + you find out if you have not got something BEFORE you get to the job!! I keep a fluidmaster cistern fill valve and flush valve at home for an example, I got called out to a job last weekend, push button broke, I told them quickest and simplest option is to replace the whole valve, the valves are £12 at screwfix, I got £75 for doing job and had everything on the van and did job there and then!!

If your van is so small you find yourself keeping a fill valve & flush valve at home then I think it's time to upsize :eek:

It's French! Start saving for repairs. Are you in the AA or RAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Small vans?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock