Search the forum,

Discuss smart meters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
according to this smart meters will save 6 billion by 2020, however rolling out smart meters will cost 11 billion

Will smart meters be worth the money? - BBC News

politicians, they feel they have to be doing something even if its not something worth doing

As it said in piece, energy companies are paying but costs passed on to us d mugs.
They take 11 billion. So whether it's worthwhile r not they still make profits.
As usual bills will go up!

Continuous use of your home broadband, to monitor your energy use. Never mind the radio waves bouncing through your house 24/7, the fact that Europe have banned them and the fact that they don't read your energy use accurately.

Not getting one in my house, screw the energy companies

Few years ago when I got divorced, the ex had transferred the outstanding bill into my name so when I got a letter for the outstanding off a company I'd never heard of I rang them and told them where to shove the bill. After a heated exchange I told her to come and cut me off if she can.
To which she replied, I can do it from here in London, you're on a smart meter and we can read it and turn it off without entering your property now from here...... GULP !!!

goz666 i agree. Having watched a programme on discovery channel (how it's made) they where making smart water meters in the US that had a cut of thing. I have an old imerial G4 meter don't want a new one.

Few years ago when I got divorced, the ex had transferred the outstanding bill into my name so when I got a letter for the outstanding off a company I'd never heard of I rang them and told them where to shove the bill. After a heated exchange I told her to come and cut me off if she can.
To which she replied, I can do it from here in London, you're on a smart meter and we can read it and turn it off without entering your property now from here...... GULP !!!

move supplier :)

The real agenda for smart metering is all about building smart distribution grids more closely matching supply and demand. Its also about multi tier tariffs.

Most of the gas used in the UK is now imported be it via subsea pipeline from the continent or in LPG form in tanker from the middle east. Electricity is also imported and exported and produced by various means including renewables.

Smart metering will provide real time useage data back to suppliers. They can then build up a more accurate database of demand at different times of day/days/weeks/months/seasons.

Also, the end game will be that when demand is high,i.e cold winters day, the tarriff may be higher so you pay more. Low demand,lower prices.

Smart metering will also facilitate faster supplier switchovers for customers.
Smart metering rollout of fully functioning smarts is supposed to happen august this tear. Get ready for workload to ramp up as all those folks who used to be gardeners go out doing gas and electric.

also makes rolling blackouts / gas cuts easier to implement as individual house / streets can be shut down centrally.

they can remotely shut off the gas, I'd hope they'd need someone out to asses in the case of a reported gas smell, in case it was the governor or upstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to smart meters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock