Search the forum,

Discuss Smell from water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello , so for a week or so I have been experiencing a really bad smell from my water tank only when I run my electric shower. It's like a strong glue/sealant smell. When my fire is on and the water in the system is hot. It doesn't smell. Only when shower is on. I thought it may be the anode rod but my indirect herculag doesn't seem to have one. Any thoughts ?
Thanks

A couple of photographs and some more description would help.

Is it a pumped shower fed from a hot water cylinder? If so, is it possible that the tanks are being sucked empty by the pump and what you are smelling is the dry heater overheating?

Its obviously the shower at fault get it checked electrically it is probably burning out caused by faulty wiring my advice is dont use it until a electrician has tested it and checked the wiring for scorching. Cheers kop

Hi, thanks for replies so quickly. The smell isn't coming from the shower it self as it's only in the cupboard where the tank is. Could possibly be being sucked dry. I will send some pictures to help. The shower is only a year old. But the tank is old I think.

I have attached some pictures of tank , not sure what to snap

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

From what I can see on the photos, the shower uses a high power heater to heat cold water at the point of use. I think you almost certainly have some wiring overheating, which is a potential fire hazard.

KoP was spot-on as usual, don't use the shower until a qualified electrician has checked and fixed the wiring.

Last edited:
Ok I will get on it. ASAP. I just find it weird how the smell is coming from the cupboard where the tank is and not in the shower part at all. If I have the coal fire on and the water is hot then the smell doesn't appear ???

I would think its a split in the coil to the hot water cylinder the fishy smell is the inhibitor in primary system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smell from water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock