Discuss Solder tips? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi folks.

I'll apologise now for this silly question.

I'm currently doing a job that involves soldering up to 54mm pipe. Previously only done up to 35mm.
I'm struggling to solder the vertical pipes so my question is whether it's advisable to crimp the fitting to keep the pipe in place?

Or is it feasible to solder the vertical pipe into the fitting first then solder the horizontal bits?

I'm struggling cos it's 3.5metres in the air so wedging it isn't really an option.

Go easy with me.

Yes it the horizontal run is clipped then the vertical pipe isn't supported. The spec of the job doesn't allow for press fit unfortunately.

Why don't you put 4 tack solders on the pipe?

Work you way from tack 1 to tack 2, then tack 3 to tack 4, tack 2 to tack 3 and then tack 4 to tack 1.
This way the pipe is held in position and with a pipe of 54mm the solder is set on the opposite side of the pipe you are soldering.

We did this in plant rooms when doing pipework because we would tack everything square and level / plumb, and then solder the joints completely as we proceeded.
The tacks just held everything in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solder tips? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock