Search the forum,

Discuss Sole Traders Rubbish Disposal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Archer4180

Heya I'm looking at setting up shop for myself just wondered how do sole traders get rid of there rubbish, My current boss uses his estate car for work so has no problems driving into the local tip and getting rid of it however if you have a van you can't do that well not in north wales anyway inless you have a permit which limits you by only letting you use it once a month I think it is. I know theres plenty of people out there who will take old radiators and boilers off my hands for free but what about the mountains of cardboard and general crap how does small sole trader get rid of it? I'm probably being dumb and theres an obvious answer but I don't know it so if any of you guys can give abit of advice that would be great thanks.

Our very own Mike Jackson will be along shortly to explain the joys of rubbish removal. He's like our stig of the dump.

i use hippo waste and add it to the cost of the job.

For a big job I stick on the cost of a mini skip. Like the sound of the Hippo bags though.

Officially you'll need a waste transfer license (more expense) to move anything in your van (even scrap).

For a big job I stick on the cost of a mini skip. Like the sound of the Hippo bags though.

Officially you'll need a waste transfer license (more expense) to move anything in your van (even scrap).

Hippo bags are great mate. If its packed right you can fit several jobs of rubbish in it. Pick them up in b&q. Easy peezy.

I use a local waste disposal company. Costs me about £60 for a hippo bag sized amount. I either get it cleared from the job if there's enough or store it at home until I've got enough. The money from scrap covers the cost of waste disposal (and the cost of the licence).

Taking trade waste to the household waste tip, even in a car, is illegal you can even have your vehicle confiscated especially if you don't have a waste licence

Sounds like hippo bags are the winner and smaller skips for the big jobs and price jobs with it all in mind. Thanks for the advice my mate said let the customer deal with the rubbish but not very professional. I don't know anyone with a waste transfer licence I have been told you should have one though. The way I see it if i get asked its not scrap its used pipe for making ornements out of.

Hippo bags are great mate. If its packed right you can fit several jobs of rubbish in it. Pick them up in b&q. Easy peezy.

Just had a look at the hippobag website. You can register for hippopro, gives you 5% off, but you have to use them at least 12 times a year.

Sounds like hippo bags are the winner and smaller skips for the big jobs and price jobs with it all in mind. Thanks for the advice my mate said let the customer deal with the rubbish but not very professional. I don't know anyone with a waste transfer licence I have been told you should have one though. The way I see it if i get asked its not scrap its used pipe for making ornements out of.

Doesn't wash with them I'm afraid. It's only £154 for 3 years. One decent scrap run will cover the cost.

typical government farce licencing waste removal for a bloke going to a scrap yard with a valuable commodity, that isnt waste in anyones mind! Another tax on those obeying the rules that serves no useful purpouse

Now you have to have ID for scrap should mean an end to the waste carriers licence (no chance of that !!!!!)

Ha gone are the days you slipped the bin man a fiver and he would take anything you chucked at him

i normally ask the customer if they want to take there own waste to the skip or i can charge them the cost of getting it moved.

if your doing heatings then you could agree with local scrap man he/she can have the rads, boiler (not copper) for free if they take the rubbish aswell. some will do it.

waste license is a must, one trip to scrappie pays for it. if you have space on your land hire a skip for a year to fill with cardboard etc and and a little charge to your custards for it

waste license is a must, one trip to scrappie pays for it. if you have space on your land hire a skip for a year to fill with cardboard etc and and a little charge to your custards for it

Why put a skip in your drive when the customer can pay for disposal immediately and you keep the scrap. Whole worlds gone mad, youll need planning permission to store waste for any period of time - fire and pollution risk and all that!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never take any waste from any of my jobs, I suppose it is more professional but I am just not interested in other peoples waste. Unless it is shiny and my magnetic level doesn't stick to it. I don't think I've ever not gotten a job purely because of this.

Sadly even non magnetic recycling is counted as waste by those in ivory towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sole Traders Rubbish Disposal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock